Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:45:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Eggcarton vs. Regular method, you should see this wow
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eggcarton vs. Regular method, you should see this wow  (Read 5444 times)
Enbawe Cortunix Quail

« on: August 29, 2008, 10:20:24 AM »

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=82340

im keeping them in the carton for sure next time

Good Enough Never Is
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »

really interesting thread.
Best guess as to why the hatch was so different would be a combo of many of the postings.
1 Not rolling around evry turn, thereby having a positive turn and not just a maybe it landed in a different spot.
2 round end up instead of on side
3 the cardboard carton did in fact help maintain a more stable temp for the egg, thus the on time hatch.
4 infertility was just random part. percent fertile to hatch is the key.

makes me wonder if I should put cardboard inserts in the egg cups on my turner?
Definitely will leave the eggs in the cups when I turn off the turner this time to see of the hatch is any better. I've always laid them out on the screen to hatch before.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:57:25 PM »

I generally incubate, and even hatch in the paper trays (but cut the tips off both the cup, and the support posts).  I think it helps to maintain more constant humidity, as well as temperature.  The tray is a good place to spray extra moisture, especially during the last three days.

I've noticed better hatch rates, and that the eggs in the middle (I stack the trays) hatch faster, and nearer together.  So much so, I will put an extra layer of trays on top, when possible.  I think with my incubators, I get too much airflow around the eggs, and they are dryer, even though the overall humidity is good.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 04:26:08 AM »

I generally incubate, and even hatch in the paper trays (but cut the tips off both the cup, and the support posts).  I think it helps to maintain more constant humidity, as well as temperature.  The tray is a good place to spray extra moisture, especially during the last three days.

I've noticed better hatch rates, and that the eggs in the middle (I stack the trays) hatch faster, and nearer together.  So much so, I will put an extra layer of trays on top, when possible.  I think with my incubators, I get too much airflow around the eggs, and they are dryer, even though the overall humidity is good.
                                I use the card board trays with excellent results
jgalo

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:33:38 PM »

Are you stacking in the hatcher or just in the incubator?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »

Are you stacking in the hatcher or just in the incubator?

If you are asking me, yes I have to stack.  My incubators have racks that are 9 inches apart.

You may have found this, by now. http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=5686.msg40483#msg40483
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:46:49 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
jgalo

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:12:55 PM »

I can't tell  from the pictures.  Are you stacking your trays because it sounded like you are stacking the eggs like when you ship them and I wondered what space they had to hatch if so.
jgalo

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 11:13:51 PM »

Modified version.  I didn't have egg carton so I left all of my Chukar eggs upright in the plastic trays.  Then I covered half of them with cheesecloth.  I placed cheesecloth underneath the plastic trays and then over the wire lid of the hatching trays.  all but 3 of the ones covered hatched on day 3.  The ones uncovered started hatching on day 3 and continued thru day 6 with a lower hatch rate.  I am going to place a new batch in  the incubator tommarrow and going to place cheesecloth over the eggs in the incubator to see if it helps with the development stage too. 
Man Cave

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »

After visiting the link that Enbawe sent it was perfect timing. Yesterday was my 14th day of 119 eggs in the incubator. I put 30 in paper mache tray. I drilled holes in the bottom of each holder for better air flow. I also dampend the tray with water.  The rest are on their sides. I will let you my outcome.  c29
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »