Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:50:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  GQF Hatcher
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GQF Hatcher  (Read 6191 times)
jgalo

« on: March 12, 2009, 02:49:42 PM »

Anyone use a GQF Hatcher.  I am more confused now than ever.  I thought you set your hatcher to 98.5 with a Wet Bulb of 92 which the chart converts to 77.8 RH.  I am having a problem with the outdoor sensor on the unit so I called GQF and spoke to Steve.  After I explained my problem I told him about the difficulty I was having raising the humidity.  He told me that I was raising it way to high.  That I should incubate in the low 50's and hatch at 60.  Its even printed on the side.  I explained to him about the chart I was using that I got from this forum with is taped to the side of the machine and he said he didn't know about any charts but that I should remove the wick pads and set it as he explained which I did.  Is there that great a variance in RH readings?  I have purchased several humidity readers such as accu-rite and they all give different readings.  Is it best just to use wet bulbs?  Does your sea level elevation make a difference?  ( we are only 500' above sea level).

Frustrated in Texas

glenn-bob

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 03:41:53 PM »

Alsways go with manufacturers recommendations, unless you absolutely know better.

Don't know about charts, but 77% is definately too high (except for duck eggs, not sure about them).   There have been plenty of topics here about humidity and I think a calculator.  You didn't say what eggs, low 50s must be for partridge or pheasant.  I use 60, then near 70 for bobs.

Try  98.5 dry and 85.6 wet for hatch that's 70%

set at 99.5 and 87 dry for 60%

I don't know how you got 77.8%  i have trouble with getting over 60 sometimes.  Use wet bulb to check hygometer.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »

Anyone use a GQF Hatcher.  I am more confused now than ever.  I thought you set your hatcher to 98.5 with a Wet Bulb of 92 which the chart converts to 77.8 RH.  I am having a problem with the outdoor sensor on the unit so I called GQF and spoke to Steve.  After I explained my problem I told him about the difficulty I was having raising the humidity.  He told me that I was raising it way to high.  That I should incubate in the low 50's and hatch at 60.  Its even printed on the side.  I explained to him about the chart I was using that I got from this forum with is taped to the side of the machine and he said he didn't know about any charts but that I should remove the wick pads and set it as he explained which I did.  Is there that great a variance in RH readings?  I have purchased several humidity readers such as accu-rite and they all give different readings.  Is it best just to use wet bulbs?  Does your sea level elevation make a difference?  ( we are only 500' above sea level).

Frustrated in Texas

During the incubation period on the GQF 1502 the temp is set at 100* the RH(wet bulb) is at 82-84* the percentage on a digital for humidity 46-51%

The last 3 day's in the GQF incubator1502 or 1550 hatcher the temp is set at 99* RH(wet Bulb )90-94* the percentage on a digital for humidity 70-83%

If you are having problems with humidity, first check what the ambient humidity is where you have the hatcher located. Another thing that you can do to raise or lower the humidity levels is by regulating the intake and exhaust holes on the back. This will either up the air flow or slow the airflow to adjust the humidity as well.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:55:01 AM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
jgalo

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »

That's at least close to what I have.  How does the manufacturer get 65% plus 70 to 83% is a wide range.

How about Chukars incubation and hatch temp and RH

Thanks
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 04:53:53 AM »

That's at least close to what I have.  How does the manufacturer get 65% plus 70 to 83% is a wide range.

How about Chukars incubation and hatch temp and RH

Thanks

You can use the same setting for the Chukar and pheasants.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »