Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 08:47:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Nevada trip
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nevada trip  (Read 2956 times)
Redhorse
Expert Member

« on: May 24, 2007, 04:49:42 PM »

Just returned Sunday night from Las Vegas, where I spent a week loading my mom's household into a truck for her move back to Ohio.

I just had to pop in here and share something with you all that made my work a little easier. The Gambels Quail were everywhere in the residential community where mom lived. There were males calling from the rooftops throughout the day. Dozens of adults running around the yards as I took my walks in the morning, and many groups of chics filtering in and out of the chainlinked fences as they followed a couple of adults from yard to yard. One little chick got separated from it's family and lounged in the shade of the truck I was loading for about 20 minutes before getting back together with it's family unit.

Just wish I could have scooped up a batch of them and brought them home...but a three day drive to Ohio would not have been very fun for a quail...plus I had no desire to explain anything to  :police:...but it was tempting!

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:46:22 PM »

hehehe...sounded fun. Im in the city suburbs but there are many places like that around here with Valley quails.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 08:24:33 PM »

Not easy to catch the little ones !
I was working in OK Falls (southern B.C.) for a few weeks. One day on the way back to the motel , near the last couple days, about 20-60 crossed the road with several parents (Valley Quail). I jumped out to catch some & by the time you bend over to grab them, they are gone ! Was afraid to step on any, so let them go.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 09:07:28 AM »

Having spent a week there, I could have contrived some apparatus that would capture a batch of them. I'm pretty adept at trapping...I started trapping serious when I was about 14. Catching critters is something at which I have plenty of experience.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 04:32:55 PM »

I wish I could go to Las Vegas, not only can I not afford to drive there and back, finding enough leisure time to do so would be out of the question!   Some guys have all the luck!    :evil:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 08:45:52 AM »

If I had all the luck...that last hand of cards would have paid off a few thousand instead of $25...but oh well. The free Crown Royal while playing was nice, and I enjoyed my first Cuban cigar to boot. Next time I go...I'm not spending 4 out of the 5 days loading a 28' semi trailer!

My wife burned a weeks vacation, plus two free one way tickets to anywhere in the continental US... to load boxes. Then we took 3 days to follow them back to Ohio, they drove the pickup, and we drove their car. They paid for the gas the whole way also, so the trip didn't really cost us much.

Just unloaded that trailer Tuesday. All the furniture is in the house...but the garage is packed full of boxes. I did my part, so the rest is up to them. I've definitely got some free babysitting coming this Summer!

SportDog

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 10:56:34 AM »

Yeah Redhorse Im not sure thats the way a lucky man would spend his vacation to Las Vegas.
But on the bright side you did get to see some neat quail activity. :laugh:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 11:30:38 PM »

I did my part, so the rest is up to them. I've definitely got some free babysitting coming this Summer!

I bet that's not the way they see it!    They just may try to adjust your outlook on how things really are?

:laugh:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »