Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Ohio (Moderator: CharlieHorse)
| | | |-+  2007 OH Migratory Game Bird Season Opens ?????????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 OH Migratory Game Bird Season Opens ?????????  (Read 6534 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: September 01, 2007, 02:10:11 PM »

trailbossusa,

Ohio Mourning Dove Season is now open from Sept. 1st, 2007 through Oct. 15th, 2007.

Also, Canadian Goose, Teal, Common Snipe, Rail, and Moorhen season opens Sept. 1st, 2007

Go here for more info:

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/PDF/pub298.pdf   

I didn't go to the link, but I have two questions.

1- Does the dove season start at 12 noon of the opening day?

2- Why is this?

WV dove season opens 12 noon on opening day. I can't seem to find out the reasoning on this.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »

#1.....No.   #2.....I have no idea as to why, maybe someone will chime in and enlighten us?     Here it is, word for word................

DIVISION OF WILDLIFE
Ohio Department of Natural Resources
MIGRATORY GAME BIRD
HUNTING SEASONS, 2007
DAILY HUNTING HOURS ARE SUNRISE TO SUNSET

.....Hours for dove hunting are sunrise to sunset, except for those wildlife areas which have been posted with special regulations.

Although.................

The Division of Wildlife is planning to operate controlled dove
hunts at Fallsville, Rush Run Spring Valley, Indian Creek, Bott
wildlife areas, St. Marys Fish Hatchery, and Cowan Lake State
Park. These controlled hunts will occur during the first 3 days of
the season (Saturday , September 1st ‑ Monday, September 3rd);
hunting hours will be noon to sunset.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 02:37:02 PM »

yep that's what it says in the pdf file.

Makes sense. Doves become so docile in the off season. They're giving them a chance to become more spooked I guess. After that...it'll be like trying to shoot down stunt planes. LOL
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 02:44:52 PM »

yep that's what it says in the pdf file.

Makes sense. Doves become so docile in the off season. They're giving them a chance to become more spooked I guess. After that...it'll be like trying to shoot down stunt planes. LOL

Maybe so, I have hundreds of Doves here. I think that they are more of the resident type then being MIGRATORY, just like the Canidian Geese that take up residency and never leave.

I have had Doves nesting in my barn all spring long and in the pine tree next to my house, along side of the driveway. You can walk under the nest and they just stay there and can't be bothered to fly away in fear of their lives.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 04:17:27 PM »

I think that they are more of the resident type then being MIGRATORY, just like the Canidian Geese that take up residency and never leave.

Those geese should be open season just like a coyote or groundhogs (No closed season for hunting or trapping .......No Limit). :eek:  Especially in light of the "sky is falling" avian flu scare.  For over 40 years, the only geese I ever saw in my area where just passing through, it was very rare to see any, therefore it was a treat. Within the last 3-4 years there are thousands that have taken up resident at all the local lakes and rivers. They have completely closed 2 beaches because of the sacred migratory geese that never leave.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »