Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 06:58:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Newbie Coturnix housing questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie Coturnix housing questions  (Read 4176 times)
Shellepup

Personal Text

« on: September 23, 2010, 03:06:59 PM »

Hi, 

I have 11 baby coturnix and 4 bobwhites, plus about 80 eggs in the incubator right now and need to get busy building housing for all these new critters.  I've never had quail before.  How much shelter from the elements do coturnix & bobwhites need?  I live in coastal South Carolina.  Our summers are HOT & HUMID but the winters aren't too bad.  It rarely gets below freezing and NEVER below 25 degrees F.  I'm thinking of building a lean-to type shelter with raised pens inside for the different color varieties.  Maybe with 2 walls and a roof, and the other two sides could be covered with plastic or a tarp in bad weather.  Also, is 1" chicken wire sufficient for quail? (I know the floor needs to be smaller mesh, I'm just asking about the sides.)  Also, will each pen need an inclosed nest box?  I've heard varying opinions on that.

TIA!
Michelle
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »