Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:43:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  wire for bottom of pens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: wire for bottom of pens  (Read 4960 times)
birdman182
« on: July 11, 2004, 09:57:12 PM »

i bought some 1 inch by 2 inch wire for the bottom of my quail pen cuz some guy told me too and know they cant walk on it so what should i do
CHARLIE

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 11:08:12 PM »

TOLD YOU TO GET SOME 1/2 INCH (RAT WIRE) AND LAY IT ON TOP OF THE OTHER WIRE IF YOU CAN . 1 BY 2 IS WAY TO BIG FOR THE BOTTOM OF A QUAIL PEN
                  CHARLIE

WAS A ADVANCED MEMBER IN THE OLD FORUM
boone
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 12:44:36 AM »

you can also get 1/2 x 1/2 inch Black plastic at your garden store .
Bird Crazed
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 10:16:26 AM »

For what it is worth... I read that 1/4" should be used for the bottom.  The birds will become spraddle legged.  I believe the source was an article in the Game bird gazzette.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 10:38:18 AM »

I know that I have seen where a very few recommend 1/4 inch, but most recommend 1/2 inch which works better/best in my opinion. 1/4 inch will "plug up" with droppings and such to easily, in turn creating unsanitary conditions, also resulting in a lot of unessesary handling and contact with birds if you were to try to keep it cleaned out. The wire should be covered for the first week anyway and I believe that if your birds are going to be spraddle legged it will happen in the first week when they shouldn't be directly on the wire anyway. All of my spraddle legged birds were born that way, it didn't just happen. Of course I could see where 1x2 wire could create alot of problems, heck they would just fall thru that!!!   :lol:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »