Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:00:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  quail cages
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: quail cages  (Read 6963 times)
redneckboy235
« on: June 19, 2004, 10:56:57 PM »

I need help on finding plans on how to make a quail cage that is above ground outside or in a barn thanks for helping if you do!
pgbirdman
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 03:29:39 AM »

I'm too cheap to pay for something that I can make myself!!!   I make my own out of 1/2 inch hardware wire (sides and top and door) and 1/4 inch for the floor.  No wood is needed, just a wire clip clamp (a tool worth about $20.00) and the wire, door latches and the wire clips (5 Lbs is about $6.00)  Size...is up to you.  I like mine 1' high x 1 1/2 square.  The tool alows you to clamp the wire together and I simply cut out a door and use the wire clips to re-attach it as a door.  The tool also applies the latch to shut the door.  Then I stack them 4 high and clip the cages together.  I've seen these same cages retail for anywhere up to $130.00 each, I can make 7-10 for the same amount of $.  There strong, easy to clean, cost effective cages.  The stuff is available at most feed stores.
pgbirdman
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 03:33:41 AM »

Maybe you only have a few birds... a "rabbit hutch" style cage for outside works well
Don McGowan
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 06:46:48 AM »

PG    what do you use for a dropping pan between the cages??
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 10:15:03 AM »

i'm in the process of cage building now. & almost done with the first.
I will be starting my second & third shortly.

These are outdoor cages, they measure 12' long, 4' wide & 3' high.
They are built in sections so they can be taken down & moved if nessesary.
The floor is built first, covered with 1/2" hardware cloth. There are legs every 4' and support the cage 3' off the ground, the back wall is assembled next, then the front, can be taken off & covered with wire. The front has 3 2x2 doors in each 4' section of cage, for access/cleaning etc.

On one end I constructed a 2' x 4' removeable house/shelter with a door for access.
the roof is standard steel pole barn type roofing/siding which is removable for moving if nessesary.
On the end opposite the shelter box I am going to just use netting on as on the first one I plan to attach a flight pen, which I will probably order one of those green house type frames from Farm-tek & cover that with flight netting from Cutlers supply.

I will take some photo's and put them in my photo gallery in the next couple of weeks. Then I will let you know & give a material list if anyone is interested. I haven't got the bills calculated yet but I think I have about 350-400 into each cage, not counting the air stapler I bought which by the way is the only way to go when building this many cages.

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »