Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Where to buy eggs??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where to buy eggs??  (Read 4629 times)
double_B_ranch

Personal Text

« on: October 31, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »

where is the best place with the best deals that you have had the most luck with. maybe not necessarily the cheapest if they have a beater hatch rate then the cheaper places.

also if keeping quail/pheasant what age do they start laying eggs and when does their breeding season start when u should start expecting them to lay?

also how many eggs do pheasants/quail lay? are they like chickens and an expect one a day or is it more?

also i saw that people mainly sell their BW quail around 20 weeks of age for hunting purposes but when do u sell you ring neck pheasants? at what age?

i am just trying to use this as a guide to figure out when the best time to incubate would be and also when others genreally start their incubating. is it a seasonal thing to try and time it right with the hunting season or do you raise them year round and just sell to hunters training dogs/people realeasing into wild during the summer months when no hunting is going on.

thank you for all advice Ive been doing a lot of reading so i try not to double post anything.
TGarcia

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »

just from my own experience I wouldn't buy from e-bay.  I have not had any luck with any eggs I've purchased from there.  Try and find someone from this site to buy from. Another good site I've heard of is backyard chickens.  Hope I was allowed to mention another site.  I know some sites frown on that!! 

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:18:14 PM »

Try to buy your eggs from local breeders and do not go for cheap go for quality breeder birds because this is where you are going to be getting your breeders from . Buying eggs that you are going to have to have shipped should  be your last choice.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:25:59 AM »

Another good site I've heard of is backyard chickens

Finding the right person on that site can be problematic. Many/most also raise chickens & you do not want to introduce a disease from that type of place.

slider has posted the best info: buy local. Feed stores will know who the local breeders are.
TGarcia

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »

If you can find a local breeder that is of course your best bet like Slider said. I didn't even think of the possibility of disease and all when I mentioned that other site.   I'm a newbie and learning myself.  I got lucky and found a local breeder not to far from me.  It took some searching.....but it's well worth it if you want good quality birds. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »