Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:19:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Egg-less Coturnix Quail
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Egg-less Coturnix Quail  (Read 11192 times)
backyardquail

This place is going to the birds!

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 09:32:07 AM »

Lights are white, I will check into a change over to red.

Thanks!

Backyard Quail
"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake." - Victor Hugo
Jessibell

Personal Text

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »

it might help; I found it made a world of difference to my birds and they also stopped brutally pecking each other.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 11:11:31 PM »

b3

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
backyardquail

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 09:07:03 AM »

Slider, please explain.  you think "red: light is a bad idea?

Backyard Quail
"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake." - Victor Hugo
Jessibell

Personal Text

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »

yes, I'm curious too as this is the board where I recieved that advice when I was first starting, and I have heard this advice over and over by other aviculturists. Also, I found it worked well and in all the years i kept quail I never noticed any ill side effects from it.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »

Red lights are good for brooding chicks but are not good for breeders especially Corturnix. Corturnix males go infertile with low light .

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
backyardquail

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 12:25:39 PM »

Thanks for the info, good to know

Backyard Quail
backyardquail

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 12:38:18 PM »

Quick update for anyone who is interested or for someone looking for similar answer. 

I believe I had "something" terrorizing my birds all along.  I lost a couple birds a week or so back to something attacking through the cage so I added a layer of smaller wire (1/2 X 1/2) around the whole cage, but still allowing the birds to reach out in safety to the food and water.  So with their new found security in place for over a week the eggs have started to roll - no other real changes!  Thanks to the stress comment from komer, this might have been the issue all along.

For whats it worth!

Backyard Quail
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »

Just like women birds do not put out when they are Stressed....

Taproot

Personal Text

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 02:41:12 PM »

Wow. I just came over here to post about this. I'm having the sam problem right now (with QUAIL lol). After reading the thread, I'm thinking it may be stress. Something (probably my cat) was harassing them all night. .22 rat shot and/or my pellet gun are in order tonight.  c110
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »