Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:38:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Red tailed Hawks and Owls
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red tailed Hawks and Owls  (Read 45880 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: October 12, 2005, 01:06:16 PM »

Are Red Tailed Hawks territorially (meaning one hawk in an area), when due they normally feed and do they migrate?

Same question pertains to Owls.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
WV DNR# D6-16-05GF

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
mikken

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 11:45:39 PM »

According to this -

http://www.smm.org/warnernaturecenter/programs/faq_red_tailed_hawk.php

Red Tails are territorial in mated pairs and many do migrate for the winter (although some established adults will not).

I can't find any specifics on feeding times of day.

Red Tailed Hawks are protected under the migratory bird act.

I think with the owls, the answers would depend upon the species.
rushcreek

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 08:44:23 AM »

I have an answer for when hawks feed. Sun up till sun down! I'm constantly trying to run them away from my pens. Have a terrible time with chicken hawks too. I've had as many as 5 hawks on my pens at one time. They kill at least 10 quail a week! They spook em and make them fly from one end of the pen to the other and catch them when they hit the ends. Usually I just find headless birds where they catch them but can't hold on to them through the netting. When the quail have had enough and they hunker down and won't fly I've seen them sit in one spot and flap their wings like they're stuck in the netting. I guess they are trying to just scare any up that they can. Anybody got a solution? Some way to run them off for good? I'm afraid they're ruining my good flight quail.

Rush Creek Quail Farm
http://www.rushcreek.net
mikken

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 11:42:55 AM »

How about a livestock guard dog? 

The sight of a larger predator in the area (the dog) should be enough to deter a hawk.

You'd just have to teach the dog that the birds are "his" so that he'll protect them.

mikken

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 11:46:57 AM »

Or what about some large rubber snakes?  They work for other birds, but not sure if hawks eat snakes?

You could put them on a piece of plywood or something on top of the cages so that the hawks can see them, but the quail can't.

Just thinking out loud.
Bloomingtongamebirds

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 02:19:02 PM »

.17 CALIBER IS THE ANSWER
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 10:31:13 AM »

Hawks eat snakes. We had to put roofs on all of our cages and cleared away some smaller trees around the cages to deter roosting or landing of predator birds. Our problem are the coons and weazels.

Five Hollers Quail Farm
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 05:42:21 AM »

.17 works great on all pesky varmits that will not listen to reason
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 08:42:46 AM »

I've got free range chickens and every year I lose a few chickens to Red Tailed aka Chicken Hawks.  I "take care" of the problem when I can but I've resigned to not stay up nights worrying about it.  Doesn't take any time at all for my penned quail and pheasant to recognize the danger call given out by the chickens upon sighting one of the hawks.  They then all duck and run for cover in the pens, hawks go for the easy target....that dumb hen who just happend to be my favorite at the time and just a little slower than the rest.  Tried keeping a handfull of extra roosters as bait but the hawks never seem to get them....just my favorite hens. Murphy's law I guess.  Owls also go for the easy mark.  Great Horned Owls (aka flying cats) seem to primarily go for the free ranging house cats since it seems as neighbors are always looking for a lost cat around here.

David
sawblade

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 09:02:11 PM »

Hawks are a protected species but I will tell you how some people take care of them down south.    Put up a post  about 6 feet high near your quail pens, place a #2 steel trap on top of the post and cock the trap. You do not need any bait as the hawks will land on the post to eye your birds, when he does.....KAPOW...... it aint pretty. Oh be sure to attach the trap to the post  so he wont leave with it.    THIS IS NOT LEGAL, but it works.
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 10:35:35 PM »

Sawblade,
  I live in about as remote a place as Oklahoma has to offer and while I've known of that method since I was a kid, I've never used it.  Imagine our surprise last year when the local papers were fronted with a story about several arrests (eight or ten as I recall) being made (one as close as a few miles from me) by the US Fish and Wildlife Service for just that very thing.  Article said all the properties were identified by aircraft to make the arrests. I told my wife that I BET our property resulted in them doing a double take since I have a single raised pole (with lights) over my pens and I use a nail sticking out from it to hang some of my traps.....bet they buzzed my house several times before they decided I wasn't a case. On hind sight I realized how guilty that made me look so now I've moved the traps....hate the thought of giving one of those fellows whiplash LOL.

David 
trout bum
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 03:41:01 PM »

Red Tailed Hawk is much larger than a Chicken Hawk (Coopers Hawk), maybe you have the two confused. Though both due equal damage.....
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 01:36:54 PM »

Even though the Red-tailed Hawk has killed 6 to 12 of my released birds (6 confirmed), since July, I haven't seen him or her since last week.

I have noticed more crows around lately. I do believe the crows will chase the hawks for territorial rites.

I have begun releasing the adults once again. It seems that the hawk had killed only the Ring-necked hens and cocks and didn't bother the H/C Melanistice Mutants.

We will see what happens.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 07:10:18 PM »

crows will definately chase hawks
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 02:37:56 PM »

Well I guess I spoke to soon.

After releasing another 1/2 dozen RNC's yesterday, the S.O.B. (Red-tailed) has returned. Seems he/she likes to display the remains on top of my flight pen. The rest the birds are scattered around my farm and the neighbor's farms. We flushed 16 total birds this morning (14 RN C's & H's and 2 Melanistic C's) and 7 Woodcocks.

That make 7 hawk kills (5 confirmed RN C's and 2 RN H's).

He/she has got to be doing it late at night, or early in the mornings before sunrise. I fed the birds last night so I could go hunting this morning, in heavy fog, and the dead carcass of the RNC, what was left, was in plain sight for me to see as I walked past the pen.

This has got to stop!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »