Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:22:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Buy and Sell
| | |-+  Wanted mearns quail
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wanted mearns quail  (Read 17054 times)
finnegan

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 07:56:46 PM »

Re: the Bamboos, are yours quiet or flighty ?  I think they are one of the more beautiful Partridge. Do you keep yours in colony groups or pairs? I have heard of both working.

The Bamboos are in pairs and are quiet not at all flighty
finnegan

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »

Once I get a couple or three pairs of each I will have plenty of eggs to trade with other breeders. I got the Game Bird Gazette with the article , very good and a pleasant surprise.

Where are you located ?

we are located near holly michigan
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 07:41:56 AM »

Hi Jim

Keep me in mind for some Mtn and Mearns eggs this year, I'd like to raise enough out for 2-3 pairs of each. My main birds are going to be Bobwhites and Ringnecks this year, plus some Ringneck Doves. hoping to start 2-3 pair of Ruffed Grouse.

I ran across your address, near the airport, after I'd posted yesterday. I think that the Mearns is one of the most beautiful of the Quail, well worth breeding just to have them, same for the Mtn but also, they might have a place up here in stocking if it turns out to be too cold and too much snow for standard Bobwhites. Of course also if DNR agrees.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 09:47:09 PM »

TRY THIS SITE    www.squawcreekfarm.com    they might be able to help you.
finnegan

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 01:27:20 AM »

it says they are no longer taking orders for quail  and do not have any on there price list looks like they are done with them jim

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 11:55:53 AM »

As I said in another post, I am dropping the Mearns from my list, just adding the Mtn this year, maybe a couple of the others, Texas Blue Scale and Gambels just for pretty.  Maybe I watched too many John Wayne movies with the Quail singing in the background   j41

One of my good moments of the day is going out in the garage and listening to the welcomes from the standards there. They'll have a home til they go over the bridge. Mtns are about that musical too, and get tamer.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 02:35:01 PM »

Jim,  I have been working with birds now for two years and still have trouble with my gambles and cals, any time you go near their cage, to feed them they go bananas.  I was just wondering if you have a remedy to calm them  ? because i sure have not found it.  marion c29
finnegan

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 07:01:40 PM »

Jim,  I have been working with birds now for two years and still have trouble with my gambles and cals, any time you go near their cage, to feed them they go bananas.  I was just wondering if you have a remedy to calm them  ? because i sure have not found it.  marion
Try to spend more time around the quail this will quiten them down also trying giving them greens every so often i pull clover and dandelines in season once they get used to these treats they will be more forward  when you come to the flights  watching out for them Jim
jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 03:11:07 PM »

JIM,   I will try that, as I do not spend much time with them.  I also don't give them much for treats.  THANKS :?:
bobhunter

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 09:26:51 PM »

I have found the same thing...the birds become tamer, are more relaxed, and breed better when they see more of you. Treats as mentioned above are also helpful.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 07:10:33 AM »

True birds will become tamer if you spend more time with them. But most often, we don't have the time to spend that time needed with them.

Gambles, Valleys....are very flighty by nature anyways. Will take some many hours with them to get them tamed if you're willing to invest it. I find Bobwhites and Mountain quails to be fairly easily tamed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:16:01 AM by aKirA » Logged
jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 09:23:34 PM »

I appreciate all your advice. I've always wanted a couple pairs of Mountains, but the price scares me. I didn't realize
they could be tamed. I seem to have enough trouble paying for the feed for the birds I do have. j32
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »