Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Game bird recipes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game bird recipes  (Read 13883 times)
cv
Expert Member

« on: February 13, 2009, 09:17:55 PM »

218 Recipes for quail @ FooddownUnder.com
http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=quail

Georgia Quail in Gravy 
http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=112717

Ingredients :

8 x Quail
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 cup Butter or margarine
1 x Bouillon cube, beef/chicken
1 cup Water, boiling
2 tbl All-purpose flour
2 tbl Water

Method :

Sprinkle quail with salt and pepper. Brown quail on both sides in butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Dissolve bouillon cube in boiling water; add to skillet. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove quail from skillet and set aside.

Measure pan drippings; add water, if necessary to measure one cup. Combine flour and 2 Tbsp
water; gradually add pan drippings. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and
bubbly. Return quail to skillet; heat thoroughly. Remove quail to a serving platter, and serve with
gravy.

Note:
It is immoral to not have biscuits with gravy. Works with snipe, doves, teal breasts, rails or rabbit.

Bacon Bbq Birds
http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=13680

Ingredients :

8 x Wild birds of your choice
(dove, quail, chuckar, grouse etc.)
1 lb Fresh bacon
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
1 tbl Paprika
1 tsp Ground sage
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
Salt to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste

Method :

Marinate birds in Italian salad dressing overnight. Pat dry, season with paprika, ground sage, garlic
powder, salt and pepper to taste. Wrap each bird with bacon slices. If you use more than one slice
of bacon to cover the bird match the seams on the same side. Place the birds on a medium-hot grill,
bacon seam side down. Cover and grill for 15 minutes. Turn and grill another 15 minutes. Test the
bird with a fork, if it is not tender cook an additional 15 minutes.

Baked beans, stuffing, fresh vegetables, and bread of your choice would be an excellent complement for this entree. After your birds are done throw the bacon into your pot of baked beans for excellent seasoning. This recipe also works very well with Cornish game hens.

Comments: When you BBQ smaller wild birds like dove, quail, chuckar, grouse etc., it tends to be a
little on the dry side. This recipe will definitely fix that.

Marinated Quail
http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=158864

Ingredients :

1/2 cup Vinegar, white wine
1/4 cup Burgundy, red, PLUS
2 tbl Burgundy, red
1/2 tsp Celery Salt
1/2 tsp Lemon pepper seasoning
1/4 tsp Onion Salt
1/4 tsp Allspice, ground
    pn Sage, ground
2 tsp Bacon drippings
12 x Quail, cleaned
    Butter, melted

Method :

Combine first 8 ingredients, mixing well; add quail. Cover and marinate in refrigerator at least 24
hours, turning quail several times. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, basting with marinade.
Remove quail from marinade; grill over hot coals 10 to 20 minutes, basting often with melted butter.

Game Hollandaise
http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=110775

Ingredients :

1/2 tbl White vinegar
1 tbl White wine
2 x egg yolks
125 gm butter
1 x lemon
    salt, pepper
2 tbl Game glaze

Method :

Make a sabayon by whisking vinegar, wine and egg yolks over a pan of simmering water until thick
and creamy. Gradually whisk in the soft butter, a little at a time. do not allow it to get too hot. Sauce should thick enough to coat a spoon. Finish with warm game glaze and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Store in a warm place until required and give it a whisk every now and then. This sauce does
not keep well so prepare just before using.

Note - This sauce can separate so be careful.

Nest of Smoked Salmon and Leeks with Soft Boiled Quails' Egg
     http://www.fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=173644

Ingredients :

1 x Leek sliced julienne
3 oz Smoked salmon cut into fine strips
1 tbl Walnut oil dressing
8 x Quails' eggs, soft boiled
1 tsp Chopped chives
8 oz Smoked cods' roe
1 x Shallot, finely chopped
1 x Clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tbl Olive oil
1/2 x Lemon, juice of
1/2 tbl Tomato puree
1/2 tbl Chopped chives
1 dsh Tabasco sauce
1 dsh Worcestershire sauce
    Cracked black pepper
1/2 pt Double cream

Method :

Blanch the leek strips then cool in cold water and squeeze dry. Mix the leeks with the smoked
salmon strips, then form into two nests and spoon a little dressing on top. Place four eggs in the
middle of each nest.

Cut the cods' roe in half and scrape out the inside with a teaspoon. Mash the roe in a bowl with a
fork and blend in the shallots, garlic, lemon juice and tomato puree. Add the chives, Tabasco,
Worcester sauce and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cream. The sauce will be fairly thick,
so add more cream or milk to thin out if preferred.

Top the quails' eggs with a spoonful of the cods' roe sauce and garnish with chives.

From smoker-cooking.com
http://www.smoker-cooking.com/grilled-quail-recipes.html

Greek Style Grilled Quail

This recipe is rich with Mediterranean flavors, and is wonderful served with a hearty bread dipped in
seasoned olive oil and a fresh green salad.

Ingredients :

6 quail
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Method :

Place the quail into gallon size freezer storage bag or a large food storage container. Combine the
remaining ingredients, mixing well. Pour the marinade into the bag with the quail, making sure the
birds are completely coated.

Marinate for at least 2, but no more than 4 hours. Prepare your grill at medium high heat. Cook the
quail over direct heat five to six minutes on each side. Move the quail to a cool part of the grill to
rest for 5 minutes before serving. The quail can be split along the breastbone before serving if
desired.

Butter Quail

This is an easy recipe that uses simple ingredients. The flavor of the quail is the main attraction,
enhanced only with salt, pepper, and real butter.

Ingredients :

4 quail
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon light vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper

Method :

Prepare the grill for medium high heat direct grilling. Lightly coat the quail with vegetable oil, then
season with salt and pepper. Place the quail on the grill over direct heat, and cook 5 to 6 minutes
per side. Move the birds to the cool side of the grill for 5 minutes to rest. As the quail are cooling,
melt the butter. Split the quail along the breastbone, then brush with butter before serving.

Grilled Quail With Onions

This quail recipe calls for an overnight marinade in wine and onions. The grilled quail are topped with sautéed onions when served.

Ingredients :

6 quail
1 cup dry white wine
1 large white onion, chopped
1 large white onion, (sliced and sautéed before serving quail)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, cracked
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic

Method :

Combine all ingredients except quail and one onion. In a non-reactive container or food storage bag, marinate the quail in the onion marinade six hours or overnight. Remove the marinated quail and pat dry with paper towels. Slice the remaining onion thinly, separate the rings, and sauté until lightly browned. Prepare the grill for medium high direct grilling. Cook the quail for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, then move them to a cool part of the grill to rest for 5 minutes. Split the quail, top with sautéed onions, and serve.

From JustGameRecipes.com

The link to quail loaded as error 404 today, It's the first time
this has happened, No telling when it'll be back up and running,
I'm sure one could improvise with the other recipes listed.

Thought I'd start this with a link to pheasant recipes.
http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxphe.html

Recipes for :

Alligator
Bear
Beaver
Boar
Buffalo

Caribou
Dove
Duck
Elk
Emu

Game Hen
Goose
Grouse
Kangaroo
Moose

Muskrat
Opposum
Ostrich
Partridge
Pheasant

Pigeon
Quail
Rabbit
Raccoon
Squab

Squirrel
Turtle
Venison
Wild Turkey
Woodcock

source: http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxphe.html

--------------------

Miscellaneous

Armadillo
Antelope
Camel
Coot
Crow
Gila

Iguana
Parrot
Pigeon
Polar Bear
Porcupine
Rattlesnake

Reindeer
Seal
Teal
Whale
Whitebill
and more

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxmga.html
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »

Some good ones....Thanks !!!!!!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Circle R Ranch Kevin Rockholt

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 10:29:48 PM »

Who has some birds for sale, I cant wait for mine to get big enough!  Tasty, Tasty!   s98

Circle R Ranch - Kevin Rockholt - Pasadena, Tx - Licensed by the State of TX.  Lic. #  4661
DarrenS

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »

I want to try some of those recipes! Hey CV, I like your picture with the eggs and the fella. What kinda camera and lens did ya use for that picture?
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:01:50 AM »

It's an image manipulated with a graphics editor, I didn't shoot the picture, I ran across this while looking for cell phone wall paper.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 02:08:16 AM by cv » Logged
DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »

Try poaching quail eggs in crabb boil then dusting with Cajun seasoning.
Larry Lain
www.doublelquailfarms.com
Jeff

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:40:45 PM »

I just found this area and thought I would share how I do some of my cooking.  With all of my shot birds, before cooking I soak them in a salt brine over night.  Try this with chicken, it really works and keeps them moist.

After this.....  I either grill, smoke, fry or bake.
For grilling I like to sprinkle on some kind of season salt and wrap with bacon, very good and the kids love them.

For smoking, again sprinkle your favorite season salt and a little pepper.  Lots of water in the water pan and I've used hickory, apple, blackjack, pear and mesquite.  My favorite is hickory.  I have lined the grate with quail and just placed strips of bacon over them.  It keeps them moist and adds good flavor.

frying is just that.  Lightly coat in flour with your favorite seasoning and fry them up.  Very tasty and moist.

Baking, well, lots of options here.  Very simple though, I place on a large baking sheet and sprinkle them with seasoning.  Usually garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper.  Sometimes I baste with butter.  Either way, very good.

Kids scarf them up and no leftovers.  Quail season is too short and I never can get enough birds to last very long.  So now I've decided to raise them for the table.  I  have many more ways to cook them, but sorta lengthy to put down.  Every way is good, can't go wrong with quail.

Jeff
lace

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:15:46 AM »

Wow! These are some truly amazing recipes for game birds!! Haven’t come across too many of them online and these are really going to be a god collection for me!! It’s going to be some exciting cooking with these and I am looking forward to trying them out – looks really yummy!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »