Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:16:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Hypothetical Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hypothetical Question  (Read 3300 times)
JCR1989

Personal Text

« on: April 09, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »

When incubating two or more types of game-bird eggs(i.e. quail and pheasant) at the same time in the same incubator, with different hatch dates, what are the general rules about how to handle humidity? Lets say I have my humidity at about 55-60% but when one batch of eggs reaches its final days before the hatch, is it still ok to raise the humidity another 10-20% even though some of the other batches are still in their early stage of incubation and require a humidity of 55-60%?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »

When faced with differing hatch dates, set one species later, so hatch dates are the same.
JCR1989

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:02:42 PM »

I understand that option, but what if you were faced with the situation I described a above?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 03:11:41 PM »

Buy another incubator for hatching.

Odds are, you may get away with that "bump" in the humidity. But a hatch can sometimes go on for several days.
Also, when a hatch occurs, lots of bacteria is released. In a high humidity atmosphere, it can get out of hand/control. (that is why it's important to sterilize between batches)
JCR1989

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:33:30 PM »

So would you recommend raising the humidity to accommodate the eggs hatching rather than keeping it the same to accommodate the eggs that are still incubating or meet somewhere in the middle?
TENNESSERED

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:04:07 PM »

You really are taking  a chance by using the same equipment for incubation and hatching.  If you can have your hatcher inside, then you can get one of the cheap foam incubators and use it as a hatcher.  That's what I have done for years.  They work very well as a hatcher.  If you keep your eyes open you can pick up a used one for 15 to 20 dollars.  That way you never expose your main incubator to the bacteria as Reeves mentions.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »