Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:21:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Knock Knock
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knock Knock  (Read 89206 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #150 on: April 21, 2013, 05:54:03 PM »

About a 6 hour drive SOUTH EAST of my place this morning, the wind chill was -22c   ck1

Very late spring here !

One of the problems will be the Ducks, Geese etc. Without the undergrowth, trees etc leafing out, the Crows, Ravins & Magpies will clean up on their eggs.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2013, 07:37:08 AM »

I like Ford blue...what can I say  :grin:

Got the Super T-10 cleaned up & painted. Got the inline shifter (made by Long Shifters) mounted and adjusted.
I bought a small sand blaster. Used it on the cross member. Works great !
The small T lever in front of the shifter, you lift it & push the shifter forward, into 1st gear. For 2nd pull straight back. 3rd push straight forward & 4th straight back. No more blown shifts due to the old H pattern !
The handle that came with it is small & narrow. So I put a Hurst handle on. Note the red thumb button. It's for the line lock.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:40:26 AM by Reeves » Logged
thekid

Personal Text

« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2013, 10:42:28 AM »

Quail chicks hatching here today! Woke me up with there peeping (I have the bator in my room) I set 66 and so far I have had about 40 hatch, I will see how many are hatched when I get home from school

I like to hunt, fish, and raise quail
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »

I assume you run quarter miles (or whatever they run in km's)?  What kind of times you get?  Just run up in Canada?

Hey another 6" to 10" of snow tonight!   s176

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2013, 12:09:05 PM »

Hey kid - congrats on the hatch   s98

I will run the 1/4 . I read someplace 1/4s are no more. They shortened them to 1000' from the 1320.
Safety for the big boys ?
I had an engine built & it was sent back ready to blow up (lots of metal junk floating around in it).
Needs a complete re-build.
So no times.....yet.
But should be in the 9s when done.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »

Growing up I used to be pretty big into the race scene, Hot Rod, Stock Car Racing, Circle Track, were about the only things I read.  I think there is a stack about 4' tall in my old closet at the home farm with all of the mags.  Sub 10 second I believe full roll cage and safety protocols enforced?  That's got to be a rush to get thrown back in your seat like that!  s2 is probably how I would look when done

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2013, 08:30:06 AM »

Any updated chick count, Kid?

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2013, 09:20:51 AM »

I'm too old to get into serious type racing.
So I can di it two ways.
As a street legal.
Or ....bring it up to tech.

I already have most of that. depending on what will be required.
It has a 6 point cage.
I'm installing a new 1/2" stainless fuel line. It will go through the frame rail....if I can get it through, from back of trans to front of engine.
Turns out that with the way my headers will be built, that is the best routing anyway.
Doing other things to bring it up to tech as well. Just in case.
thekid

Personal Text

« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »

Any updated chick count, Kid?
I got 37 out of 66 eggs, that is the worst hatch ratio I have ever had. Normally I got 50-55 out of 66 eggs. I use a Brinsea incubator. Do coturnix become less fertile over time and do you think it could be low because it is still kinda early in the season?

I like to hunt, fish, and raise quail
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »

Early in the season. Lots of people do not bother trying to hatch the first few eggs. Or do a test on some of the first ones to see when fertility is kicking in.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2013, 07:32:10 AM »

Oh goodie ! More snow !  s47

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-8_metric_e.html
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »

Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2013, 08:48:28 AM »

fp1  So, thats when it all started going down hill!

Week ago we got 8 inches of snow, this weekend was gorgeous.  70 degree temps!  Got the back yard raked and it was juts nice to sit and look out over the pond.  Ducks and geese were coming in.

Eggs started hatching Friday.  Wasn't very impressed with my pheasant hatch, down at about 65% which is the worst I've had.  I had two Sportsman incubators full of chukar eggs as well.  The one started hatching Friday and we had about 300 hatch by Saturday night, which was great.  However, at that point, the other inc had no chicks.  Now last night that one started hatching and there are probably about 200 in there and counting.  Not sure why that incubator was 2 days behind the other one???

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »

2 day diff , I'd say the temp is lower in that one.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »

It wasn't terrible.  We write down the high and low temps and humidity's each day.  The early one only averaged about 0.3 to 0.5*F higher.  That half of a degree must make a big difference though.  As long as they hatch I guess I don't care too much as to when.  I was getting pretty nervous Sunday morning though when the one incubator was finished and I didn't have a chick in the other!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »