Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 01:52:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  I'm a newbie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm a newbie  (Read 2370 times)
schultz
« on: January 26, 2007, 04:58:18 PM »

Let me introduce myself.
My wife and I live in Wisconsin and are avid pointing dog people. More specifically German Shorthair pointers.
We have been toying with the idea of keeping our own birds for dog training.
To expand on that we have purchase an incubator and have built a couple of pens.
My question being, we recently ordered chukar and bob white eggs. I will not mention the supplier of the eggs so as to not harm their reputation.
The eggs arrived 3 days ago by UPS delivery. The box was marked with bold letters hatchable eggs.
We were not home at the time so UPS left the carton of eggs on our deck in 15-20 degree weather, where we estimate that they stayed for about 2-3 hours.
There were a couple of eggs that had small holes in them and we put a thermometer though the whole in one of the eggs directly into the yoke. It was 40 degrees.
The eggs had been inside for about 15 minutes before this was done so they may have warmed up some.
Can anybody tell me what we can expect for hatch rate after being this cold?
We did email the hatchery about this, but have not heard anything back as of yet.
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 07:13:25 PM »

Your eggs being inside for 15 minutes most likely didnt have a factor in much of the internal temp of the eggs.  Putting fertility and shipping aside a 40 degree egg should be fine as long as it was packaged good enough to withstand the entire trip.  An egg usually begins to freeze (unprotected) at around 28 degrees and bacteria usually develops around 68-70 degrees.  Egg storage of 40-55 degrees should be fine.  If fertility is not an issue and if the temps were 15-20 degrees and your eggs were 40 degrees then I wouldnt expect too much of a problem.  As long as you let them sit for a good 8-10 hours minimum BEFORE you placed them in the incubator.  I ship much of the winter months with little to no problems.  I do try and watch the weather patterns between our locations and ship them when feasable if possible.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
schultz
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

Well, it is day 24 and not a sign of life out of 50 eggs.
We did email the supplier, no response.
We will keep the eggs in the incubator for a few more days to see what happens.
If we end up with a bunch of dud eggs with no response from the supplier, I will let you now who we got the eggs from.
The supplier has been mentioned on this site, and it sounds as though customer service is the number 1 complaint that I have heard about this place.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 02:55:11 AM »

Candle some of the eggs to see if anything developed.
Can use a small flashlight or hold it up to a lamp.
Good luck.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »