Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 01:47:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  They are hatching!!! YAY!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: They are hatching!!! YAY!!!  (Read 3346 times)
Leigha
« on: February 06, 2007, 10:50:04 AM »

Right at my 17th day my quail babies are hatching, I woke up to one in there and now one more is piping, I had a total of 15 eggs so I will see how this ends up, at least at the very least there will be 2 to keep each other company.

I guess I did something right  :laugh: I will update later what happens.

One question about the brooder. I have the large container with the light and food and water all set up no problem, but what is the best to put in the bottom? I have heard several different opinions. I currently have what you would put in the bottom of a bird, rabbit, hamster cage to help with odor and make it softer. Its kinda like newspaper bunched up but a little softer like cloth feeling. Very hard to explain but I hope someone knows what this is. Its called natural bedding for small animals.
Is that ok or is the shelf liner or actual newspaper better or is there something all together better??
Thanks yall!
Leigha
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 11:32:32 AM »

Don't use the newspapers.......too slick.  Use the rubber shelf liner or paper towels. I put down about 6 or 7 layers of paper towels and remove the top layer when it needs changed, thus leaving a fresh new layer instantly.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 11:51:39 AM »

I used old tee shirts the first time I had chicks hatch. It only need to last a couple of days until they get their footing.  Be careful with any kind of shredded stuff they can peck and eat.

Congrats!

John
Leigha
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 02:35:16 PM »

Ok, we have 3 more that have hatched for a total of 4 hatched so far. one more is on its way soon almost has the top completly pushed off. and there is one more egg moving around although cant see and pipe marks yet.  I am so excited now!!! YAY!!!!!!!!

Although I had to take out the original one already because he was pecking at the others and at the eggs. I didnt want him to hurt the others before they had a chance to "fight" back lol. He is already dried completly and running around everywhere. SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!
Leigha
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 04:25:32 PM »

two problems, one my fifth eggs just hatched but it looks a bit different from the other 2. It had very very light feathers, not a dark one at all and it didnt have nearly as many as the others. and the bottom half of the egg is still attached to his bottom by his I am guessing cord???? His eyes are much darker and more noticible than the others by far. Any clue why or is this guy just in bad shape?

Also..

I have a bully. My second one that hatched I moved to the brooder box, he is all dry now and messing with the other eggs and chicks. So when I moved him to the brooder the first one imediatly started pecking him and pulling his feathers and being very mean, so I had to take him out. Any clue what to do? Do I need to make a ceperate cage for the bully? lol???
JohnInDixon
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:29:40 PM »

Don't open the incubator more than once/24 hours.  The humidity at this time is critical - which is why your chick is stuck to his egg. They have feed to last them a couple of days from when they were inside the egg.

g'luck

John
Leigha
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 06:10:02 PM »

I am not opening it except for to take the first one out then tried the second other than that I am leaving it closed. It has a plastic top that you can see theu. Thats how I know what's going on in there. The temp and humididty are soing good.
The yellow chick seems to be doing a bit better, he seems to be moving a bit more and the shell is completly off now. I hope this is a good thing for him.

The 3rd and 4th ones however still have their legs out to the sides and don't seem to be able to get their foting at all. the others all have their feet under them and walking fine but those two dont seem to be doing well with their feet, its been a few hours since they hatched. Is that normal with some?

Thanks all for your help  :laugh:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 08:36:29 PM »

That's what they call "straddle" or "splayed" leg.  Do a search on the subject. I personally would cull them, chances of survival are next to none. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »