Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:42:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  protein level of eggs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: protein level of eggs  (Read 2383 times)
bobby white
« on: June 22, 2004, 09:35:06 PM »

I have hatched out 4 batches of bobwhite quail this spring so far and have been feeding them purina chick starter which has a protein level of 30%.  They are growing  fast and look very healthy and am having no problems with them or anything.  This forum has proved to be a wealth of information that  has been invaluable and is no doubt a big reason for my good luck.  I have also been feeding the chicks some chopped up boiled eggs.  I use quail eggs when I have them extra, then chicken eggs when the quail eggs are gone.  Once the chicks have discovered the eggs and have tasted them , they just devour them like nothing else.  I mean I can hardly even get them in the door before the birds get out, once they know I'm bringing them some.They love them eggs!  I know the eggs are good for them and are high in protein.  Would anyone know what their protein level is?  Are quail eggs higher in protein than chicken eggs, or is an egg an egg?  I would imagine that quail need this extra protein boost early in their life --how long can I feed them eggs without causing them any harm or result in an overload of protein.  I will probably switch to a lower protein crumble at about 6wks or so--is then when I should stop with the eggs? 8)  :shock:  8) ....Bobby....
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 07:24:22 AM »

I am looking into the protien difference from egg to egg but I can tell you this...we put the birds on flight conditioner at 7 or 8 weeks. It is a little lower in protien than the starter/grower but not as low as maintenance feed. We also use purina which personally I think is the best. We do not give the birds chopped up eggs although many do. I will get back to you with the numbers. But if your birds are healthy then I would not put to much energy into why just keep up the good work. Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
bobby white
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 09:10:55 PM »

I'm still feeding my birds the eggs and they consume them quickly.  Only the youngest get the eggs now, the 6 wks.old ones have been switched over to flight conditioner and will stay on this the rest of their lives until harvest time, which should be in 8-9 wks.  I wonder if the egg yolks are 100% protein, not the whites but the yolks.  Anyone know if this right? :lol: ..Bobby..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »