Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:37:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Pharoah eggs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pharoah eggs  (Read 2779 times)
greatxtc04
« on: July 05, 2004, 12:26:29 PM »

Help!!! I have been hatching bobs, for awhile, still have them, but what I want to know is,Can I incubat pharoah and bobwhite eggs together, I have 30 pharoah eggs and some bobwhite eggs, but only one incubator.
 :?
shagomatic
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 02:13:09 PM »

You can incubate them together but they have different incubation periods.  Coturnix aka: Pharoah quail only take 17 days to hatch, whereas the Bobwhite take 24 days.  The only problem with this is if you are running an automatic egg turner.
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 07:05:26 AM »

I incubate eggs with different incubation periods all the time to have them hatch together.  Using your example- start the bobwhites and then six days later start the batch of pharoah.  14 days later, take all the eggs out of the turner and raise the humidity for hatching.  They will all hatch during the same two-three day window and can go right into the broober together. I've done turkey (28 days), Bobwhite (23 days) and chicken (21 days) this way without any trouble.  With the obivious size difference in the chicks you will need to keep an eye on the chicks in the brooder.  Personally I've never had a problem with the larger (turkey poults or chickens) picking on the smaller quail but it may just be the temperment of my birds- I don't wish to imply that your results will be the same.  The quail chicks imprint on the first larger moving thing they see which is a turkey poult and follow it around like it was mom.  The turkey poults just tend to wander around in the brooder confused by all the attention.

David
greatxtc04
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 10:36:21 AM »

Thanks for the info, I will try it. I've always heard you won't know until you try. thanks again.  :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »