Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:49:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  How the soil and tree situation been without rain?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How the soil and tree situation been without rain?  (Read 2684 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: September 06, 2007, 09:54:49 AM »

Since we haven't had any real amount of rain lately and just a light dew in the mornings, my trees are dropping their leaves like crazy. Since my farm is 100% clay and slate deposit, I have cracks in that ground that are 1/2" to 1" wide and at least 2" deep.

I have one pond that has totally dried up since June and have Jamison weed(false corn) and FoxTail Millet growing in it. I don't think that pond will ever recover now with all the growth.

If this dry spell continues I don't think we will have much Fall folage like the last years that have gone by.

Even the grass has stopped growing. Not that I mind. But the weeds seem to thrive and I have to still cut them.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 08:01:41 PM »

Lots of rain here ! Grass along the lane way is 5' tall !
AA Plantation
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:41:53 PM »

Steve,
I feel your pain.
We have had some rain but not enough.
With the prices of corn and soybeans at a all time high this year. I planted way more than i ever had before. Corn costs about 350 per acre and soybeans close to the same.
A good crop of corn here is 125 bushels per acre. compared to 200 bushels per acre in the corn belt. yearly averages here are 90-110.
I may of had 45-60 on good fields, much less on most. I want know how the soybeans do untill November. I did keep a hay field or two.
Thank goodness i did because hay is 65 per round bale. I am not selling it, i have to feed my horses, and couldn't go to sleep at night charging double over last year. If i didn't have hay i would have to get rid of most of my them.
The quail raising thing did not go to good. After all was done i might have 50% of what i started with. After construction costs, minor equipment, and feed. I have about $8 per bird, not counting my labor. Learned my lesson, but will soon forget.
I just hope that hunting season gets better. With gas being so high and travel expenses higher. I have not lost any clients but, their trips here are fewer.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »