Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:03:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Supplier Feedback
| | |-+  shipping birds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: shipping birds  (Read 3701 times)
potshooter

« on: May 22, 2004, 10:50:31 PM »

Can anyone give me some helpful hints about shipping quail.  Our quail is over 8 weeks old.  How many do you usually put in a box?  And can anyone recommend the best place to get boxes from?  How do most people set the price for shipping them?  Is there a site where you can put in your zipcode and the zipcode that you are shipping to and how much it weighs, and it would tell you how much it cost?  Sorry for all the questions, but this is new to me.

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated. :)
birdman182
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 10:49:18 AM »

horizen boxs are the best go to cutlers supply for the price also just call your post office tell them the weight and where your shipping it to and they will give you the price
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 11:38:34 AM »

The site below has many versions of calculators that your customers can use to calculate shipping charges to them.  Just paste the HTML into your page and go from there.  We had calculators on our site but I removed them because its much easier to quote direct prices and its more accurate.  You may have other charges such as box fees or packaging you wish to include.  You can print out a postage rate chart from www.usps.com and zip code zone chart on hand to instantly quote shipping prices.  You still need to get a few birds or eggs and "test" box them to give you actual weights so you can accurately quote your customer.  Also keep in mind that USPS requires adult birds to be shipped Express only whereas day olds can be shipped either Express or Priority Mail.  Also keep in mind many states now require Avain testing to be done prior to them being entered into the state.  When shipping adults the USPS also requires bio-hazard protection to be in place such as Tyvek shield over the holes.  Many places dont do this and they get by with it just fine.  The Horizon boxes work great if you ship a few birds but if you ship 6 or more its going to get costly to you and your consumer.  We shipped birds many times in large chick boxes and they arrived just fine.  We dont ship many adults so we dont have a set way of shipping but we shipped day old quail on a regular basis.  Last year we shipped 14,000 day olds and this year I dont think I'm going to ship any at all.  Good luck.

Larry

Here is the calculator link
http://www.auctionsupplies.com/calculators/

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »