Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 02:23:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  temperature control?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: temperature control?  (Read 5448 times)
birdlover
« on: May 30, 2007, 08:00:46 PM »

hi,
in a forced-air incubator is 103 degrees a bad temperture to have? At this temperature does it mean that all of the embryos will die in the incubator, or is their some hope left?  thanks!!!
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:47:55 PM »

Well, it probably won't kill the eggs or anything, but it is really not a necessity to have it that high in a forced air, because it supposedly keeps it at a more constant temp. throughout the 'bator. To know for sure, you'd just have to test it out... it may not work out to good for your hatch right, but then again it might. You'd probably end up with some early hatchers by maybe a day or so before the norm.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:11:55 PM »

recommended temp for force air is 99.5
madasafish
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 07:32:50 AM »

I run a home made incubator and temperatures have ranged as high as 39.4C (102.9F) - for a little while - whilst recommended is 37.5C  (99.5F). Eggs hatched OK.

I would not recommend it  and have just bought from ebay an electric floor thermostat to improve control to 0.5C (1F) ... overkill I know but the cost was peanuts .
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 04:15:34 PM »

hi,
in a forced-air incubator is 103 degrees a bad temperture to have? At this temperature does it mean that all of the embryos will die in the incubator, or is their some hope left?  thanks!!!

birdlover,

It seems that no one ask the logical question, what is the ambient temperature where your incubator is located at?  What is causing your incubator to maintain 103*?

Naturally if the ambient temperature in your incubator house is that hot, you will never drop the incubator temperature.

On the other hand, if you can regulate the incubators temperature, it would be advisable to drop it to 99.5*

What is the wet bulb temperature, and the humidity % runnign at, and what are you trying to incubate?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birdlover
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:52:50 PM »

hi,

Well when i check the temp. from the top of the bator and check if from the inside its a little different. When i read the temp from the top its between 99 to 102, but when i read it from the inside it might be from 100 to 103.  But i'm pretty sure the temp. is 100 or 101. 
 Also, would nail polish remover fumes affect the hatching eggs, their was somebody who was in my basement, where the bator is and used the nail remover, i noticed that i smelled it inside of the bator, i got very mad and upset b/c i think that the fumes will kill the embryos, is this true? 
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 09:18:41 PM »

hi,

Well when i check the temp. from the top of the bator and check if from the inside its a little different. When i read the temp from the top its between 99 to 102, but when i read it from the inside it might be from 100 to 103.  But i'm pretty sure the temp. is 100 or 101. 
 Also, would nail polish remover fumes affect the hatching eggs, their was somebody who was in my basement, where the bator is and used the nail remover, i noticed that i smelled it inside of the bator, i got very mad and upset b/c i think that the fumes will kill the embryos, is this true? 

There's only one way to answer the nail polish fumes dilema..........wait until they hatch or don't hatch, and even then you would have to perform an autopsy to determine the cause of death. I'm sure it wouldn't be good for them regardless......too many variables....... I'm sure exposure time, ppm, etc. would be a factor as to whether it would have damaged the eggs.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 10:12:25 PM »

Birdlover, don't worry about the nail polish remover fumes... like trailboss said, there are too many variables, most being of more importance than the nailpolish remover fumes.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
birdlover
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 07:27:24 PM »

hi,
ohhhh thanks jk, what a relief, cant believe that i have 6 more days of the eggs being turned, can't wait for them to hopefully hatch, i'm going to put up some pictures for you to see, thanks in advance for all your help, i appreciate!!!
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 10:45:44 PM »

I would not recommend it  and have just bought from ebay an electric floor thermostat to improve control to 0.5C (1F) ... overkill I know but the cost was peanuts .

I meant to ask when I first saw your post.  Can you give me more information on this thermostat?  The ebay item number would be great, if it has been less than 90 days, it may still be online.  Otherwise any brand, or model number would be great.

For anyone who doesn't know;  It is almost mandatory to check your thermometers (no matter how expensive).  I use an adjustable probe type thermometer for checking others.  To calibrate it, I put the probe in a glass of ice water.  Stir it every 30-60 seconds for as long as your patience allows, up to 5 minutes.  Then set the readout to 32 (0, if you have been "celsiusized").  Place it as close to other thermostat as possible.  On non-adjustable thermometers, I write the amount to add, or subtract to find correct temperature, on the plastic frame with waterproof sharpie.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
madasafish
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 01:31:37 AM »

Type:OJ Microline® 4-Event Clock Thermostat - Type OCC2 Includes temperature probe.

UK ebay details... http://tinyurl.com/34cafu

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »