Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:20:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  War Declared !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: War Declared !  (Read 7743 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: July 13, 2007, 01:57:31 PM »

Went for a walk the other day, ended up round the garden. Yup, "our" Deer had been here in the night....again ! Eat some sunflowers, romaine lettuce....and the worst thing they could have touched ? The wife's apple trees she has in there !

She promptly "declared" War !

Only thing is, she has no idea how to conduct this war !  We have them hanging out in the pole barn: cool in it during the summer. In fact, I went out there to get some steel poles this morning & a 4x4 scared the crap out of me when he bolted out  :laugh:

I think it will be a long war fighting these terrorists....

:laugh:
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 02:42:15 PM »

Went for a walk the other day, ended up round the garden. Yup, "our" Deer had been here in the night....again ! Eat some sunflowers, romaine lettuce....and the worst thing they could have touched ? The wife's apple trees she has in there !

She promptly "declared" War !

Only thing is, she has no idea how to conduct this war !  We have them hanging out in the pole barn: cool in it during the summer. In fact, I went out there to get some steel poles this morning & a 4x4 scared the crap out of me when he bolted out  :laugh:

I think it will be a long war fighting these terrorists....

I feel your pain Reeves. I got the deer in my barn, I have them eating the plants by my sons grave.

When I see them at my sons grave, I yell and they just look at me as if I am some kind of a nut. I also have the cotton tail rabbits eating the bulbs and plants that the deer won't touch.

I will get even during hunting season.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »

I thought hunting on your own property was year round? :laugh:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 04:43:23 PM »

For predators, yes.

Gotta fatten up the ones you eat !
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 09:22:18 PM »

For predators, yes.

Gotta fatten up the ones you eat !

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good One Reeves!
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 09:27:24 PM »

With permission you can shoot one that is being a nusiance. :police: Not that I ever do it but the ones that get in the garden or barn its easier to get rid of them just butcher them yourself. :angel:
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 10:23:29 PM »

A .243 would be a good solution for your wife.  Um-er-uh, I mean for your wife to use on the deer!  Ever built your own suppressor?

A radio on talk station all night works to some extent for predators, not sure if Bambi is skeert of Rush.

I've heard Mountain Lion urine helps.  Not sure if the scent does it, or you have to squirt it in their eyes, to blind them.

A fake barking dog alarm connected to electric eye switches, might work for a while.  Real live Harriers, or Beagles would do the job, but while they chase the first intruder, your garden is unprotected.

My choice would be scents, and/or netting, fencing.  Allow them to stay near by, eating the neighbors goodies, or from food plots.  When archery season opens, I could eat, without disturbing, or inviting, the neighbors.

Try them all, then buy your lettuce in town.

Jack

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 10:55:49 PM »

Lmao  Jack
 I like the idea of playing Bambi over and over outside on a tv just so they see what happens when the humans get mad. Or you can just sick the Reeves on em.
GameBirdSource

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 08:29:30 AM »

Irish Spring Soap could be your answer. An old farmer told me about it. They place it around their shrubs that the deer seemed to be eating. I have tried it around trees but not a garden. We cut it up (used a vegetable peeler) sprinkled 1/4 of a handful around our new maple saplings. The deer only ate the 2 saplings that had no soap at their bases. I helped plant 250 elderberry trees on the boss's property. We again used the soap method. Not a single loss of saplings to the deer. I am not sure what it will do for the quality of the vegetables. I am assuming it will deter bugs too.
You have a tree stand put up near the barn, right ? :)

People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 08:55:54 AM »

You have a tree stand put up near the barn, right ?

This is Alberta....I can see Sask from here !  :laugh:

No need to hide from any of them. They get right up close, so close if a person wanted a rodeo you could jump out a window onto their backs !

I also live on a border, White Tail north & Mule Deer south. Common to see both in the yard.

A .243 would be a good solution for your wife.

Ever built your own suppressor?

No need. All the neighbors know I watch for Coyotes all year, and they too want them gone.
PSUQuailer

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 08:11:56 PM »

try putting a battery radio under a bucket and turn on some loud music.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 09:26:45 PM »

Why don't you eat a few of the suckers? They weigh as much as a COW up there! Wish they got to weighing that much down south... the buck I killed last year probably weighed around 100 lbs, dressed... :( .

I remember when I went to Canada on a boyscout trip... saw a doe on the side of the 1st lake we crossed and her young 'un  was just as big as any bucks down here  :laugh:.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
falconer_39
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 06:12:22 PM »

hey guys
Here in bama we can shoot the deer eating our garden year round
but on the off season if you kill one in the garden you have to call the warden and he will pick it up and he is suppose to take it to a boys and girls ranch and give it to them that is if it makes it that far :laugh: I myself use a water scarecrow I have them at each corner of my garden it works on dogs deer coon cat the nabor kids possums and birds if they fly in its detect range
David
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 06:19:03 PM by falconer_39 » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 10:56:48 PM »

I myself use a water scarecrow I have them at each corner of my garden it works on dogs deer coon cat the nabor kids possums and birds if they fly in its detect range

Tell me more, pictures and a link to them would also be nice....
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 03:20:12 AM »

I myself use a water scarecrow I have them at each corner of my garden it works on dogs deer coon cat the nabor kids possums and birds if they fly in its detect range

Tell me more, pictures and a link to them would also be nice....

I would also be very interested in seeing that, or a link.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »