Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  quail pen perches?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: quail pen perches?  (Read 9107 times)
buster,ak

« on: April 24, 2007, 02:24:45 AM »

i have an wirefloor bird pen with a box on one side and wire enclosed on the other,in the box is it advisable to put perches in it for quail or chukar, the box is 7'2long,5'4 wide and tall they will acess it through a smaller door from the pen side.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 02:29:20 PM »

If you build it they will come :laugh:
buster,ak

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 02:42:49 PM »

that means perches are a good idea?
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 06:52:34 PM »

they will use them
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 07:55:23 PM »

Yes I second that. My quails sleep on the perches at night. Must be an instinct thing as a precaution from predators.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 11:58:30 AM »

If these are bobwhites for release, it may cause them to fly into trees to avoid dogs, which is bad for dog training.  Otherwise, it will increase the number of birds that can be sheltered in given size shelter.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 03:29:27 PM »

If the perches are too close to the outside of pen (1" chicken wire), a coon can and will reach in and get it in the darkness of the night!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:47:11 PM »

If the perches are too close to the outside of pen (1" chicken wire), a coon can and will reach in and get it in the darkness of the night!

Only at your place  :angel:

No Coons round here !
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 11:42:01 PM »

Here...Cats willl do the same.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 11:52:40 PM »

Only at your place  :angel:

No Coons round here !

That may be..........although my fence cost alot less to construct for my little rodents than the Alcatraz that you built to keep out the carnivores in your nick of the woods.  There won't be any around here for long either!  :wink:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 07:07:05 AM »

although my fence cost alot less to construct for my little rodents than the Alcatraz that you built to keep out the carnivores

I concede that point.  :laugh:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 10:28:50 AM »

although my fence cost alot less to construct for my little rodents than the Alcatraz that you built to keep out the carnivores

LOL!!

What did I tell ya?   That didn't take long.    :police:

There isn't anymore around here now!....for now  :sad:..........There may be some relatives or drinkin' buddies lurking in the darkness? If there is, hopefully they don't know where his candy jar is and don't send out a search party and stumble across his secret candy jar.

The State is coming to get it, so they can do some x-rays on it and take DNA samples of its feces. You know, the normal forensics stuff they do to see if he is the one who murdered my 3 quail (and then I used one victim for bait......so ironic!). Then I'll know who to prosecute. He is least an accomplice!   

He isn't very appreciative.     :twisted:

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 11:12:01 AM »

LOL!!

What did I tell ya?   That didn't take long.    :police:

There isn't anymore around here now!....for now  :sad:..........There may be some relatives or drinkin' buddies lurking in the darkness? If there is, hopefully they don't know where his candy jar is and don't send out a search party and stumble across his secret candy jar.

The State is coming to get it, so they can do some x-rays on it and take DNA samples of its feces. You know, the normal forensics stuff they do to see if he is the one who murdered my 3 quail (and then I used one victim for bait......so ironic!). Then I'll know who to prosecute. He is least an accomplice!   

He isn't very appreciative.     :twisted:

This is what I had kill 40 of my birds in April !! I even had trail cameras and it never produced the picture of this guy.

Since then I have had Great Horned Owl, and 2 opossums

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »