Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Propagation - Advanced Science
| | |-+  Help Chicks are smothering
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Chicks are smothering  (Read 14818 times)
AA Plantation
« on: June 05, 2007, 08:57:49 AM »

why do the chicks all get into a pyramid and smother each other. i know that the temp is consistant throughout the whole brooder. there is nothing scaring them.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 09:27:06 AM »

What kind of brooder you got them in? How much space? How many birds? etc.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 09:27:31 AM »

Normally it is the temprature: too hot(trying to get away from heat) or too cold(trying to get warm).

Temp should be 95f under the light for their first week (with no drafts).
Then drop 5 degrees/week.

Keeping an eye on how they are reacting will help adjust the heat. Huddled under the light, even if 95f, may mean you have to bump the heat up a bit, or look for drafts.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »

I had this happen about 2 years ago.  I was new to the brooding world.  I had over 300 day old BW Quail in one GQF battery brooder.  The elect went out and they all piled.  Lost about 200 of them in a matter of hours.  I was sick.  Yes, I do things a lot different now. 

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:02:58 AM »

Too cool.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 11:20:25 AM »

Also, brooder are really best if they are round or oval with "No Corners"
If they are piling up in a corner, I would think the above info & corners may be the reason.

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
AA Plantation
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 07:17:02 PM »

The recall/brooder boxes i built are doing good have only lost 2 birds in 1 box so far the brooding area in those is 3x4' and has 1 feeder and 1 waterer holding 125 chicks. i am still seeing them piling up as well, just no loss in chicks
This is the one i am having the biggest problem with and loosing a few chicks
(11 so Far)
I know that there is probably too many in there 500
i did not get my flight pen and brooder built as soon as i wanted and had to pick up the birds.
4x8' box built  as a transport box for birds. holds 27 catch boxes and 675 birds
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 07:20:00 PM by AA Plantation » Logged
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 02:30:11 AM »

Given you have a big enough brooder with moving space...it's best to have the brooder light hotter then cooler. The chicks will adjust like the others have mentioned, either away if too hot or closer if too cold.

The brooder you posted looks good. Drop the lights down a little.
AA Plantation
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 05:15:53 PM »

Today is the big one so far. Lost 112 Chicks
Fire ants invaded 2 brooder boxes claiming 76 chicks and lost the rest in the above box.
Is there a standard of how many is an exceptable loss for the first week?
Does it get better or worse as the days go by?
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 05:21:08 PM »

Well..Im on a small scale but....given all conditions are good...you shouldn't loose any. Once in a while I'll lose one or two due to accidents or birds getting sick. But usually...once they get  a few days old-week+...they are pretty hardy. That's from my experience.

Sorry for your loss.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 06:45:20 PM »

Well..Im on a small scale but....given all conditions are good...you shouldn't loose any. Once in a while I'll lose one or two due to accidents or birds getting sick. But usually...once they get  a few days old-week+...they are pretty hardy. That's from my experience.

Sorry for your loss.

Agreed.

I don't know what your ambient temperature is, but covering part of the brooder box, such as half of it would help hold the heat in and help eliminate any drafts from the cool air flowing down the outer walls.  Of course the fire ants are just bad luck, you would know how to deal with those things better than I, since I don't have any such thing and have never seen one........and if I do, I'll blast it a couple of times with my trusty shotgun!   :twisted:   I'll show him!

Where are they piling up?..........under a bulb.........in the corner.......along outer edges away from heat source?:

Piling under heat source............Too cold.

Away from heat source (corners, edges)............Too Hot.

Are you feeding them 28-30% protein gamebird chick crumble? Others and I will grind up the crumble for the first week or so, seems to be easier for the chicks to eat.

Are they eating and drinking?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 06:47:09 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
AA Plantation
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 09:40:46 PM »

The feed may be the problem. i check the dead chicks and have noticed nothing in the craws. I am feeding a starter/grower.
I do see the some of them drinking and pecking away at the feeder
Do i need to crush it up in a food processor?
or what about corn meal or Rice Bran? i have several tons of it from the mill?
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 09:58:50 PM »

Yea the feed needs to be small enough for them to eat. The starter I buy are crumble but I have to grind them in a blender/processor for the chicks to be able to eat.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 10:03:20 PM »

The feed may be the problem. i check the dead chicks and have noticed nothing in the craws. I am feeding a starter/grower.
I do see the some of them drinking and pecking away at the feeder
Do i need to crush it up in a food processor?
or what about corn meal or Rice Bran? i have several tons of it from the mill?

I've had problems with feeding food that was too low in protein to chicks.  

For example:  

I ran out of 28% and fed 4 week olds either 16 or 20% that I had for a couple of days until I could get to the feed store, birds behavior changed immediately and then they became cannibals overnight it seemed. Food consumption slowed down and they never seemed to have any food in them either.

Buy a crumble and just put it in a blender, I know that my particular "food processor" wouldn't grind it up.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 10:06:21 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 10:15:37 PM »

You can pretty much eyeball the consistency you need by comparing to the chicks beak. But here's a pix of mines.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 10:17:23 PM by aKirA » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »