Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:40:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  runny quail droppings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: runny quail droppings  (Read 2558 times)
publius13
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:08:50 PM »

I've noticed lately that two of the dropping pans in my battery are really runny compared to the droppings on the other pans.  None of the birds seem sick or different in any way and egg production has remained constant.  Any ideas?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 11:50:45 PM »

What "flavor" Quail?  What color droppings?  All the droppings from that cage, or just enough for 1-2 Quail?  Could it be the males with the runs?  Are the eggs dirtier?

Could be as simple as heat stress, but heat usually cuts egg production.  I've seen more loose droppings during heat waves, both with Bobwhites, and chickens, normal colored, and only a few scattered around not wide spread, thank God!

I would scrub everything connected with those cages with disinfectant, twice.  Tek-Trol can be used while the birds are still in the cage, but remove them, if possible.  If you happen to have other cages, that are empty, move into them.

You may want to keep the eggs from these birds separate, fertility, or edibility might be affected.  Take a fresh sample to a Vet, or lab, if possible.  One good thing about problems with birds in smaller quarters, is being able to narrow everything down to a fewer number of birds.  And isolation/quarantine is easier.  There are drawbacks, too, of course.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »