Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:48:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Hatched Bobwhite quail can't stand.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hatched Bobwhite quail can't stand.  (Read 6420 times)
creekker
« on: May 14, 2006, 10:30:12 PM »

I have just hatched 15 bobwhite and about half cannot stand.  They seem to be fine otherwise.  Is there anything I can do at this point?  The do not seem to have spray leg as I understand the problem.  They are on a rough surface.  They were hatched on wire mesh in a giant incubator.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 11:20:18 PM »

how long has it been since they hatched? Usually blood will fill their little legs and feet after a while. However, if it is beyond that time and their feets look crippled...then Im afraid there is no fix. They are just deformed. could be alot of reasons why. Low humidity during incubation, too hot during incubation. Do their feet look normal or crippled?

good luck.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 12:17:45 AM »

how long has it been since they hatched?  However, if it is beyond that time and their feets look crippled...then Im afraid there is no fix. They are just deformed. could be alot of reasons why. Low humidity during incubation, too hot during incubation.

good luck.

Agreed. I know it stinks, but in my opinion the time and effort involved in trying to save even just one that will more than likely not make it anyway is futile. I've tried to help them in the past, now I just cull them and be done with it.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 04:47:39 AM »

cull them
creekker
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 07:17:53 AM »

It has been 2 days now and a couple have gotten up.  There are still 5 that can only lay on their sides.  Their legs move but they just can't stay standing.  I guess it is about time to cull them.  Thanks for the responses.
quailacres
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 04:01:16 PM »

Certain diseases can affect the nervous system or cause a problem like this. It might be good to get two or three to a diagnostic lab. Labs sponsored by colleges and universities will often perform necropsies and testing at a fairly reasonable cost.
creekker
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 01:55:15 PM »

I has now been two full days since the hatch.  Of the quail that could not stand two died.  The other four I left because of opposition from my daughter.  She worked with them and kept putting them on their feet where they would run around for a few minutes then fall over again.  I let her go ahead and keep putting them on their feet and take them to the food and water.  This morning after she left I thought it was time to get this over with, but to my surprise all were running around and none was having any problem standing.  I don't get it.  I guess the constant exercise they were getting from being put back on their feet got the blood flowing.  By the way my daughter works as a physical therapist.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 02:25:58 PM »

wow that was a heart warming story. Thanks for sharing it. And say thanks to your daughter! :angel:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 11:54:31 AM »

You are lucky. Seems as though you may have had something else going on there rather than the normal "straddle leg" problem. I have never had a "straddler" come out of it and survive.

Congrats.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 08:12:20 PM »

I just had 2 mountain quail chicks that feet didnt fill. I massaged and rubbed from their legs down to their toes and in a matter of minutes I could actually see the difference in their little toes. They seem to be doing fine now.  :laugh:

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »