Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:37:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  toe biters and death
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: toe biters and death  (Read 3055 times)
Hdhunter
« on: June 10, 2005, 08:00:10 AM »

I have 60 4 day old quail. Bob white breed. I have alot of toe biters and have lost about 2 a day. Do I need to change the light color. I cant get rid of the biters it apears to be half of them. The brood box temp is good 90 to 95 ,plenty of food and water. Why are they continuing to dye? I was told I WOULD LOSE ABOUT TEN PERCENT. But we are reaching that number and still some dye.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 06:06:03 PM »

try red or blue light worked for me make sure tyey have plenty of room put some grass or straw in with them gives them something to do
Hdhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 11:48:15 PM »

JCHAIR GREAT ADVICE IT WORKED THEY HAVE STOPPED BITING AND SEEM TO BE ALOT CALMER. i DONT UNDERSTAND IT BUT ITS SEEMS TO WORK. sINCE i CHANGED TO RED LIGHT THEY SEEM TO BE CONTENT.  THANKS
Dave Penn
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 09:39:40 PM »

I had 2 broods last year and used a pad heater. Lost about 15% and they were realy mean. This year I'm useing red light. Have 2 week olds in the brooder and havent lost a one or had to clip there beaks. Realy mellowed them out.
Hdhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 12:17:57 AM »

Thanks for the advise they 50 I have left are under red lights and are doing much better. Received 60 and lost 10 so far. As for mean well thats puting it lightly. I lost two so far that just seem to be dead no reason no toe bites not cold but just dead. I dont know learning more as the days go by. Thanks to those who have written back.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »