Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:51:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  sick adult losing feahters alot of feahters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: sick adult losing feahters alot of feahters  (Read 2609 times)
gonefishingccl
« on: April 15, 2005, 09:16:27 PM »

my adult hen looking like she was sick. pick her up and it start to look like a pillow fight. just bursh her feathers and they come out. please does any one know what going on.
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 09:14:23 AM »

Your post doesn't state where you are from so I'm going a little on the blind side here.  If you are in the Southern hemisphere (Australia etc..) you are coming into your winter and your birds will be going through a moult preparing for it.  If you are in the Northern hemisphere and have stimulated your birds with artificial lighting to get a jump start on the breeding season and something happened (power outage, bulb burned out etc..) then your bird may have sensed the sudden shortage of daylight to indicate that you are approaching fall and triggered a moult. I have observed that while 80% of my birds will moult feathers at the same time I will always have 10% that moult early and 10% that moult later....Just natures way of stacking the deck.  One other common reason for feather loss this time of year is the breeding....those males can be rather "enthusiastic" this time going into the breeding season. She should be fine.

David
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »