Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:21:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  damn raccoons............
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: damn raccoons............  (Read 26806 times)
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 01:05:05 AM »

I would not have said that for nothing. s020

I would have, but was too late.  Yes, Steve there are raccoons in Harlem, and Manhattan, also.  Not as tasty as their corn fed country cousins. 

The lake is a great idea leave him in the trap, connect a strong cable, or rope, toss it in.  Fish for 2-3 hours, then retrieve your trap.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 04:17:38 AM »

I would not have said that for nothing. s020

I would have, but was too late.  Yes, Steve there are raccoons in Harlem, and Manhattan, also.  Not as tasty as their corn fed country cousins. 

The lake is a great idea leave him in the trap, connect a strong cable, or rope, toss it in.  Fish for 2-3 hours, then retrieve your trap.

Now now wildergamebirds, this is a family board s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 09:50:44 AM »

If you catch it in a live trap just reach in and grab it by the scruff of the neck...it will come quietly and you can place it in your car or truck on the seat next to you  and drive to the lake and just let it out... s020  JUST KIDDING.....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:16:39 PM by slider » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 10:05:03 AM »

I've heard rumors that the court house steps is the proper drop off location.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CoopVilla
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 01:39:22 PM »

A near by lake may work but I'd wonder if it would come back ???

It might, it might not - Is there a family it's trying to feed ? Is there
more than one ? In using a live trap, once caught, I hear a tarp over
the cage driving at least 40 miles out in the middle of as close to no
where one can find being certain the habitat can support it and theres
plenty of obstacles in a possible return has worked.

This might be taking things to far and the critters may become a problem
for someone else but it's what I've heard works -  You could try your local
animal shelter or contact DFG - They might do something about it or point
you in a direction. In some states, its illegal to relocate...

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 01:55:53 PM »

Thanks guys for all your replies, they are very helpful. j2

I wouldn't mind trapping but as some of you mentioned it may be illegal. Funny last night i didn't get a visit..if only it was like that everyday.  I've been trying to think about what other tips to try, I've researched on goggle but every link is pretty much the same stuff.  A good idea, since the raccoon(s) get to my pond from climbing a fence i could attach something sharp or slippery on the top of the edge (any ideas?) , or apply mesh on the top in a way where once the coon is at the top, over its head is  wire mesh and cant get over it. But then again the coon always finds a way to get over, i just hope to solve this problem soon, so i cant start enjoying my pond again, its looks bad right now.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »

A near by lake may work but I'd wonder if it would come back ???

It might, it might not - Is there a family it's trying to feed ? Is there
more than one ? In using a live trap, once caught, I hear a tarp over
the cage driving at least 40 miles out in the middle of as close to no
where one can find being certain the habitat can support it and theres
plenty of obstacles in a possible return has worked.

This might be taking things to far and the critters may become a problem
for someone else but it's what I've heard works -  You could try your local
animal shelter or contact DFG - They might do something about it or point
you in a direction. In some states, its illegal to relocate...

Hey Coop, we are talking NYC here. Not some outskirts in the bayou. His nearest neighbor is less then 60Feet from the back and the next door neighbors can hand each other sugar and cream out their window.

#1, NYS DEC, will not allow trapping within the City Limits.

#2, NYC animal control, will not send out anyone either, if it is related to wild game, so back to #1.

#3 Transporting wild game out of the immediate area is illegal. NYS Licensed animal control (private enterprise) is the only option.

Again, I doubt very seriously that he has a coon problem.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Coop,

I also want to mention, if he calls the NYS DEC, they are going to cite him for harboring Wild Game Birds without a license. If he calls the city, they are going to cite him for farm animals within the city limits.

It is a no win situation for birdlover..
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 03:20:40 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 02:31:25 PM »

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Really Steve, remember, i did see it with my own two eyes. I have automatic lights around my pond that turn on at night, i would always finding this large cat-like creature splashing the water, knocking down the plant pots etc...  Until i noticed their were black and white stripes didnt take long for me to recognize the culprit. It shouldn't be hard to beleive that coons are around the city, they enjoy eating out of peoples garbage and seem to adapt to city life.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 03:15:13 PM »

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Really Steve, remember, i did see it with my own two eyes. I have automatic lights around my pond that turn on at night, i would always finding this large cat-like creature splashing the water, knocking down the plant pots etc...  Until i noticed their were black and white stripes didnt take long for me to recognize the culprit. It shouldn't be hard to beleive that coons are around the city, they enjoy eating out of peoples garbage and seem to adapt to city life.

Well, if it is a coon, I can't see why it would take up resident in your yard if you are telling me that they have a free meal within the neighborhood garbage.

Go pick up a havahart trap, put sardines in it and tie the can down.

Tie the trap down as well. If and when you do live trap it, take it in the garage, place the trap in a doubled up green leaf bag, place a hose on your parents exhaust pipe and place the other end in the bag and tap it shut.

Let the car run at idle for 15-20 minutes. Once the coon has expired, place it in your freeze until trash day and then dispose of it with you normal trash.

Oh, and make sure your parents car is outside the garage when you do this.

Remember, no picture for posterity, and no show and tell pictures either, and no posts on the internet.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 03:30:50 PM »

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Well, if it is a coon, I can't see why it would take up resident in your yard if you are telling me that they have a free meal within the neighborhood garbage.

Go pick up a havahart trap, put sardines in it and tie the can down.

Tie the trap down as well. If and when you do live trap it, take it in the garage, place the trap in a doubled up green leaf bag, place a hose on your parents exhaust pipe and place the other end in the bag and tap it shut.

Let the car run at idle for 15-20 minutes. Once the coon has expired, place it in your freeze until trash day and then dispose of it with you normal trash.

Oh, and make sure your parents car is outside the garage when you do this.

Remember, no picture for posterity, and no show and tell pictures either, and no posts on the internet.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Well the coon is interested in my fish, in my pond, i covered the pond with wire mesh.
I have a trap so dont have to buy one, still unsure if i'll trap yet.
Will go to a store today, see what they have.

CoopVilla
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 04:25:14 PM »

Steve @ Pheasant Hollow Farm

My experience with New York has been limited to driving through it in the country. I'll admit that before that I thought of New York as nothing more than a big city... duh

You would know better than I -

However - theres lots a ways to deal with raccoon if indeed thats what the problem is. A trap would tell all

NO sense getting in trouble

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:31:16 PM by CoopVilla » Logged
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »

The big question is what will you do with that first city skunk.  :-o

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 04:54:24 PM »

no skunks here NH/Pete

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 07:21:09 PM »

Steve thats tooooooooooooooo  funny.... j45

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »

no skunks here NH/Pete

I'll bet on that one. 

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »