Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:19:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  hunting opportunity public / private land.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: hunting opportunity public / private land.  (Read 12539 times)
birddog
Expert Member

« on: February 07, 2008, 09:18:24 PM »

what is the deal in your area? can you just pull over beside the road when you find a nice looking spot or is everything private land? are landowners receptive to requests to hunt on there property? here in the northeast it is getting more difficult to find open hunting land. no tresspassing / posted. everywhere. sad situation :sad:

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:03:23 PM »

what is the deal in your area? can you just pull over beside the road when you find a nice looking spot.

All privately owned in my area, except for Wayne National Forest.  20 years ago, deer hunters from all over came to my area, and did just what you said, "just pulled over along side the road wherever they felt like", even parked in people yards and driveways, total disregard for posted, "no hunting areas". So everyone can thank these types of people for the attitude that most around me have towards hunters nowadays.  It's always "no hunting",  unless your their neighbor.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 08:38:19 PM »

That's one of the great things about living here.
The Govt. has a rule making it illegal to "discharge a firearm or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across;
a) a provincial highway,
b)a road that is paved, oiled, or regularly maintained, UNLESS
* the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act, OR
*the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence"

That means that I can be driving ANYWHERE in the Province, that is not designated a preserve, and if I see a Pheasant or any other game bird in the ditch, I can screech from my usual 60mph. jump out and start shooting. Gives that warm safe feeling, don't it?  j44

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:42:44 AM »

That's one of the things I liked about B.C. Most of the hunting was done on logging roads. Hop out, shoot the Grouse......drive farther up the road, hop out and shoot the Deer !
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 09:24:28 PM »

reeves and labmancan that sounds pretty much like the deal here in Maine. ( heater hunting )  s020 as for the disrespectfull behavior  its too bad a few bad apples have to ruin everything  for the rest of us.. the 4 wheeler guys and speed boaters did the same thing. their  areas are dwindling. the real surprise lately is no snowmobiling signs. I  never thought I would see that.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »

Most of the land in TX. is private and must be leased annually. Some large tracts available to public for hunting. www.texasparks and wildlife.com
Larry Lain
www.doublelquailfarms.com
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 09:02:59 PM »

reeves and labmancan that sounds pretty much like the deal here in Maine. ( heater hunting )  s020

They'd hang a fella around here for anything that even ressembled anything even close to that, although I'm right smack dab in the middle of hippie country.........don't step on that spider!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 09:47:17 PM »

AB is a a lot tougher finding roads you can do that on. Look at a map of BC and AB.....big difference. However, BC is covered in logging roads, not on maps.
I forget which Province has the rule, but I think it's AB that you have to be a certain distance from your vehicle before you can shoot.
Regs for both Provinces are about a 30lb book, that you need a team of lawyers to read and advise you.
AB also has some goofy rules for fishing: no barbed hooks.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 08:54:15 AM »

The real crazy thing about Ab., is you can do it on ANY road, as long as it is for Bird Game, and you are using a Shotgun. Rifle, Bow and Slug for Big Game are entirely different rules, which requires a lawyer to interpret.  s176

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »

no barbed hooks.. I think their trying to at least recommend that here in the states to. as for the rules up there. a few years ago we went to northern Quebec on vacation. I was reading over some of the fishing rules. and found a lot of weird  sounding stuff. I saw some places a little further north where you can not fish without a local Indian guide.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 05:05:53 AM »

It's locked up around my area as well Just like CharlieHorse has stated. If you are not family or a neighbor in good standing, don't ask.

We even have road signs down my road that have been  c110 up. The last time I had seen something like this was in the 1960's on L.I. NY.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Byrd

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 06:54:26 AM »

So hard to find hunting land in Ohio, I lease 760 acres in southern Ohio from paper company.  There has been just to much abuse from ( hunters?) in the past.

The road is rocky, but wont be rocky long
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 07:57:37 AM »

I have been quite fortunate, I being an outsider, and from Nu Yak, no less,  s020 have been accepted in my community. I have access to well over 625 acres with out getting into my truck.

I have great respect for the people in my community. I also enjoy having a cup or two or three, of coffee and talking and listening about old times and their old times. Two different worlds, WV and NY.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 11:53:48 PM »

I also enjoy having a cup or two or three, of coffee and talking and listening about old times and their old times. Two different worlds, WV and NY.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
[/quote]

thats right a lot of local business here in rural Maine is done at the local country store around the wood stove over a cup of coffee. one has to work themselves into this group but once in your all set. hopefully if we do end up moving south  I can find a similar deal.

finnegan

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »

I also enjoy having a cup or two or three, of coffee and talking and listening about old times and their old times. Two different worlds, WV and NY.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
[/quote]

thats right a lot of local business here in rural Maine is done at the local country store around the wood stove over a cup of coffee. one has to work themselves into this group but once in your all set. hopefully if we do end up moving south  I can find a similar deal.

Hey steve  you should see what it is like where i come from you need a glass of  whiskey (irish not scotch ) and a pint of guinness but once you get in there  i was intergrated  by vertue of  family (all farmers) but the stories were great  the lies were even better  but  90 % of  deals were done in the local Pub  Jim
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »