Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:48:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  What steps do i need to take to.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What steps do i need to take to.....  (Read 4413 times)
bbjockey
« on: October 19, 2005, 01:53:52 PM »

prepare JH kept adult Quail for release to hunt as "wild" birds.  I have read that they need to be misted with water so  that they will produce an oil that will enable them to fly when wet in the wild.  HOW MANY TIMES DO THEY NEED MISTED BEFORE THEY ARE OK TO RELEASE?  HOW MUCH/HOW LONG SHOULD I RELEASE FROM JH BEFORE THEY HAVE ENOUGH  FLIGHT STRENGTH TO RELEASE TO WILD?  WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

bbj
theweave

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 05:13:46 PM »

I often used a garden hose on birds after 12 weeks old to mist them on nice days and allow them to dry completely.  After so many weeks, I simply locked them out of the shelter barn and made them hunker down outside in the rain.  Wild birds use a little cover, but for the most part are out in the weather.  Mine also got a healthy dose of seeds from a variety of weed plants from harvest screenings and I think those helped produce those natural oils.....
gunner

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 10:40:46 AM »

I think that offering a dusting pan stimulates the preening habit which improves plumage and the feathers to weathering.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »