Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Members Pictures
| | |-+  Ain't spring yet !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ain't spring yet !  (Read 7787 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: March 13, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »

Sorry if they are too wide/big. Photo Bucket now wants me to up-load Adobe Flash 9 to edit. I will not do so....I've found Adobe to be an invasive program, wanting to "pop up" and do all things related to pictures and all their programs suck.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:15:03 PM »

Reeves,
How many more months of this do you still have to go thru?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:35:27 PM »

Reeves,
Beautiful Lady Amherst Pheasants, great pic. You'll get through the winter just fine, hang in there.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:05:48 PM »

Steve....learned the hard way not to plant the garden on the May long week end. (plant the first week of June)

Birdy: been through 52 winters. I know they end (winters). Good thing I like the cold eh !
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 01:38:47 PM »

Reeves, do you plant your seeds indoors a couple of weeks before the last frost date in your date?, i'm trying this and it helps to lengthen your planting season to give the plants plenty of time to mature. Just thought this would help you out a bit.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 02:22:49 PM »

Steve....learned the hard way not to plant the garden on the May long week end. (plant the first week of June)

Birdy: been through 52 winters. I know they end (winters). Good thing I like the cold eh !

Yup, all it takes is doing it a week or two early and if you get hit with a frost, then it's all over for certain fruits and vegetables. In this case, it is better to be a week later in planting.

I also have to work the ground according to moisture content. Can't disk or plow in mud. I don't like discing hard ground and sucking in all that dust.

I will usually do it the day after a mild rain fall.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Birdlover,

What are you a deck gardener and box planter?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 02:31:09 PM »

Pheasant Hollow Farm,
Yes I'am a gardener, but plant in the ground mostly not in pots or box.

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 09:08:55 AM »

I also like to garden.. I hav 500 strawberry plants making berries right now. Me and a friend of mine usually have about 1/2 ac. garden each year I just planted 10 new peach trees and 3 plum trees the other day.. My quail get plenty of fresh veggies...and fruit..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 03:48:51 PM »

Wow, slider you have a lot of strawberry plants, i unfortunately can only plant maybe 10 to 15 strawberry plants according to the small size of land i have, wish i could have that many strawberry plants. Yeah i plant a lot of veggies and fruits for my birds too, they couldn't ask for more. Good luck with your garden slider j2

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 07:32:55 PM »

Nice blanket of insulation to keep the frost out of the ground?  Mud and flood around here is about all.

.....they couldn't ask for more.......

.....other than to see daylight.    :grin:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 09:37:34 PM »

My birds have plenty of sun now, much more than before. I fixed that issue.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 02:31:00 AM »

My birds have plenty of sun now, much more than before. I fixed that issue.

Can we see the new sun laden pen or hutches or top wired deck?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 03:11:25 PM »

Sure Pheasant Hollow Farm, you guys could see it i'll try to take some shots of it this week. I'm taking some of the plastic off and i'm cutting some of the wood back to let more sun in. Now the sun shines throughout the whole pen form one end of the pen. Now the birds are enjoying the sun much more than before but i have a little more work to do to make the pen better for them.

greyghost
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 06:20:27 PM »

My xld1"s started laying in Illinois yesterday, OUTSIDE! They are goofy! We still have snow, and it's cold. I told them to look around, but I don't think they listen to me................
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »