Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:07:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  breeder pens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: breeder pens  (Read 4950 times)
DoubleL911
Expert Member

« on: January 27, 2008, 10:20:04 AM »

OK guys told you i was new at these desert quail,here we go with a few questions.
I am going to colony breed .Will they take to laying boxes or lay random on wire.
I have a endless source of lumber so i build 4x4x8 pens and 4x4x12 pens.
How many breeders would you place in the 4x4x8 pens.
All feeders and waters and laying boxes are on the outside of the pens so they do not take away from the 32 square foot of floor space.
thanks
Larry
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:53:24 AM »

Hi
Where are you located?

Sounds like your pens are good sized, have you checked with other Valley Qual breeders as to if they colony breed? 

I am building similar, but dividing into 4' by 3' pens for pairs for Mtns and Mearns pairs. They are 4' deep and 3' wide by 4' high.

The reason I asked where you are located is re the climate, you may need wind and snow/rain protection. I am in northern MI so my pens will be solid backed and ends and tops with wire fronts and bottoms. Also the dividers are solid. 

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:42:47 PM »

Jake

Have not talked to other breeders about that. I better get on the phone.
I am located about 30 miles west of Fort Worth,TX. The 4x8 pens have solid sides and back with wire on bottom and front they are 36 inches off the ground. The dusting boxes are two foot square they are the only solid bottoms to the pens.We just had some nights in the mid 20s with30 mph winds ,back to upper 70s today. All birds did OK.
Larry Lain
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:39:49 PM »

Hi Larry

your pens sound good to me, but I havent raised desert quail, yet, but your structure sounds smilar to mine.

"Great minds work alike"? 

Your weather is a lot more mild then ours, I have to worry about cold, you have heat to concern you more .

Good luck.   

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »