Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:42:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Members Pictures
| | |-+  Not pets !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not pets !  (Read 7905 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: March 18, 2008, 06:47:52 AM »

Well, thought I'd show a picture of my local mouse catchers. Good thing my bird houses lock up at night.
The small one is the one the cats caught & killed, left on the carpet inside for the wife.

Last sunday I was running around trying to leave early for a new job . Ended up leaving 4 hours late due to the bigger of the two playing peak with me and one of our cats.....from under the Reeves house ! Set a rat trap with smelts for bait & locked up the cats.

The new job seems OK so far. Didn't take them long to see I know what I'm doing with a hoe. First thing I had to do, with a JD-450 was expose a 6" gas line. Not the best tool for this kind of job !
Brought my trailer with me....hope to get some pipe !
I may be leaving this site, for another farther north, in Grand Prairie Alberta (look up a map). It's a long round about way to get there from my place. I went via Hinton & hwy 40 (Labcanman knows....)
Again, no idea if I'll have internet & I may be headed there this afternoon ? In the morning ?

On mission: Mr. Reeves (why did Mr. Bean pop into my head ?  j1 )
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 07:54:35 AM »

I am surprised that the cat didn't get taken to the cleaners. I am also surprised that you caught the larger one in a Rat Trap.

What are they weasels, Ermin's, mink? I like the black on the tip of the tail.

Put them up on :http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php in the for sale section.

Glad to hear that you got a job. How long is the deployment for?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:47:01 AM »

My biggest problem is Black Rat Snakes...killed 22 of them last year...they cant get out of the cages after they swollow the quail...biggest one was 74 in. long and lots of 5 footers. got me a Jack Russel Terrier that is bird friendly. Hope he does the job for me this year. At least he is out there all the time...since I hav had him he has eliminated my coon and opossum problem. And he keeps the stray cats run off and his best buddy is my farm cat...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:53:15 AM »

slider,

Is that the same as a black snake?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:06:27 AM »

You sure have some weird lookin' squirrels up there? 

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:14:39 AM »

Yep...same one...I do not mind snakes but when they start tapping into my business their HISTORY...When I was a kid I used to keep them as pets...

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 09:29:22 AM »

Steve;
Yup,Yup, nope.
They are Weasels in the Summer, when they're Brown, and like the Rabbit/Hare/ptarmigan, they turn White in the Winter and are called Ermine.
Unlike the Black Snake, a Weasel will kill all the birds in your pen in one night, they don't even eat them, maybe a bite or so from one or two and total destruction of your whole covey/flock!

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 02:59:44 PM »

Steve;
Yup,Yup, nope.
They are Weasels in the Summer, when they're Brown, and like the Rabbit/Hare/ptarmigan, they turn White in the Winter and are called Ermine.
Unlike the Black Snake, a Weasel will kill all the birds in your pen in one night, they don't even eat them, maybe a bite or so from one or two and total destruction of your whole covey/flock!

Labmancan,

I have had my turn of Mink last year killing the adults, and a couple years back for the black snakes killing the young birds. Neither of these two are welcomed on the property, no matter where they are.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »

Well, thought I'd show a picture of my local mouse catchers. Good thing my bird houses lock up at night.
The small one is the one the cats caught & killed, left on the carpet inside for the wife.

Last sunday I was running around trying to leave early for a new job . Ended up leaving 4 hours late due to the bigger of the two playing peak with me and one of our cats.....from under the Reeves house ! Set a rat trap with smelts for bait & locked up the cats.
Wow, a couple more of those and you'll have your wife a nice coat! c181
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 11:45:48 PM »

It would take about a thousand to make a coat  :grin:

Thinking the big one may have been able to take out the cat that was chasing it....

May have one more day at the new job. Foresrty has shut down all new jobs. Good thing, I'll be returning with a full lad of 6" pipe ! May have to stay one more night here.

Tired, nap time....
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »

Well, how about it? Any other new Not Pets acquired today either by the Rat Trap, or your faithfull cat?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 08:41:16 PM »

Nope. I'm still away working. Found out today I'll be here another three nights.

However, when I return, I'll have a trailer load of 6" (6.5" OD) pipe. Free, of course  t15
frank_lap_127
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:26:17 PM »

Really nice catch Reeves!  s98

Weasels are beautiful animals (when alive, they don't have agressive faces, but they can bite human easily, I caught one in a cage at the beginning of winter and it try to bite my dad and myself   :grin:) but they can do so much damage to game birds, and it's not like if it was rare...

Frank
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »