Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 10:19:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  **L@@K**, New Bobwhite Mutation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: **L@@K**, New Bobwhite Mutation  (Read 10428 times)
GunRunner Gundogs

gunrunnergundogs.com

« on: May 17, 2009, 11:55:50 PM »

Hello Everyone:
   I'm sure there are at least a few guys on this site that have seen or at least heard of our bobwhite mutation. The reason  for the post is to ask this question, How would someone get a new mutation recognized? I have been cautious up to this point, because I wanted to make double sure it was a true mutation. Now after 5 years of breeding them, I'm relatively sure it has to be a new color phase. However; I would like to know how I go about finding out for sure. We have nicknamed these birds the Mexican Speckled "Snowfake" Bobwhites. These birds mutated from the regular yellow Mexican Speckled Bobwhite. Nothing has ever been crossed to get this color. The off white color mutated naturally in my flock from my yellow birds. Please check out my web site for the full story and then give me any comments. I'm not sure how to find out who I need to talk to, so I'm hoping someone here knows.
www.gunrunnergundogs.com
Thank You
Kenny A.

TEAM GUNRUNNER
2009 UFTA National Champions
"www.ufta-online.com"
GunRunner Gundogs

gunrunnergundogs.com

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 01:49:26 AM »

Come on guys, is there nobody out there that has any idea of who I might could contact for more information? Doesn't anyone have a lead for me??

TEAM GUNRUNNER
"www.ufta-online.com"
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 08:01:05 AM »

I don't recall ever hearing about a place or contact of any kind to get a mutation "recognized".
Sialia

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »

Write an article in the Gamebird Gazette about them.  Since there is no organization responsible for gamebird standards you'll have to get your mutation into other breeders hands.  The more people who raise them the more they will become recognized I guess you could say. 

They definitely are beautiful birds.
GunRunner Gundogs

gunrunnergundogs.com

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 01:56:44 AM »

Thank you guys for the comments and don't be surprised if you do see an article very soon in the Gamebird Gazette. I just had a misconception about the gamebird industry. Even though I have done all my own research, I felt sure I would have to have a professional geneticist confirm and validate my birds were a true mutation. Now that I see this isn't the case, I guess the only thing I can do now is get them into the hands of the public and see if people like them.
Thank You very much for the comments!
Kenny A.

TEAM GUNRUNNER
"www.ufta-online.com"
finnegan

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 11:01:27 PM »

Hi i think our stock came from your lines last year i cannot remember this year we have about 100 snowflakes reared ans lots more coming and already snowflake is the accepted color for the mutation . The mexican speckled is turning out to be an interesting mutation and it is now giving off it own color morphs such as this snowflake  we also have another  that we have proved put the year it is a cinnamon version of  MS where the flack marking on the face and body turn a light brown instead of black and they have reproduced this year breeding true I do have pics you can see them on this link Jim  http://www.grovelandquailfarm.com/miscpics.htm
DarrenS

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 01:56:19 AM »

Am I seeing something that isn't there or is there more cream color Jim in your snowflakes than there is in Kenny's birds (lookin at the pictures at both of your websites), could this mean they're not exactly holding true on the color? On eggbid right now I think there is a place in Tennessee offering up snowflake and 75% snowflake. I think they say some of their splits are coming out snowflakes? That doesnt make sense to me. Kenny at your website there is a sentence in the info you have there "Snowflake soon became the topic on several of the gamebird sites and I received a series of mixed reviews from many breeders within the game bird industry." What are the names of these sites you mention, what are some of the mixed reviews? Would want to know more before I can think of buying any at the prices offered
GunRunner Gundogs

gunrunnergundogs.com

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »

Darren: the mixed reviews that I mentioned was from when I was trying to figure out if this was a mutation or not. Some of the guys told me that I was crossing white bobwhites with the mexicans to get this color. that was completely untrue. I have never done that and I never will, besides I want to keep the line as pure as possible. I too have seen the guy in Tennesse that is offering a Snowflake split. I hope he has not bread them back with the regular mexican speckled, because if he has then that may weaken the color. However; I'm the first to admit that I'm no expert on the subject of mutations but if I only breed Snowflakes with Snowflakes then I don't see how I can go wrong. Most snowflakes are a creamy white color, however there are some that are almost white with black flakes. My goal has been to get my flock to where I'm only ever breeding those lightest colored birds. I want to keep my flock as white as possible. With that being said I believe everyone would still agree that the creamy white color is much different from the regular mexican speckled. I don't have any control of what people do when they get them from me, all I can do is hope that people will be good stewards when it comes to these birds. My birds are still holding strong, so my hopes are that everyone will keep the Snowflake as pure as possible!!
Thank You for the comments.
Kenny

TEAM GUNRUNNER
"www.ufta-online.com"
bondoron

Personal Text

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »

I might be wrong but somewhere along the line there would have had to of been a cross of some sort. Pure bred animals, birds, fish, etc... don't change color over that short of a time. Maybe a recessive gene is popping out? That would especially be true if you are breeding from a small gene pool. Maybe I am way off base.

Ron
DarrenS

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 12:36:41 PM »

I guess it's the variation in color of the snowflakes in the birds in the pictures at the two websites (Jim's and Kenny's websites) that makes me curious ... Also I think he says above "Most snowflakes are a creamy white color, however there are some that are almost white with black flakes."  Well, then, does that mean they're not pure white like it looks at Kenny's site (that's what would make 'em of interest to me). Guess maybe I'm wonderin now,  are they breeding true enough to call them an actual mutation ? ...
GunRunner Gundogs

gunrunnergundogs.com

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 01:09:06 AM »

The name Snowflake was derived from the name of my very first bird. He was nothing more than a pet and he was the very first of his kind that I was able to raise to maturity. My boys named him Snowflake because he was an off white color with black flakes. I kept the name just so I could pay tribute to the bird and both my boys. If I had to describe the color of these birds I would say they are an Off White not a pure white.
  The other biggest difference in my Snowflakes vs my Mexican Speckled is they are more docile. These are about the tamest birds I have ever raised.
Thank You
Kenny A.

TEAM GUNRUNNER
"www.ufta-online.com"
finnegan

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 09:39:45 AM »

Most of the snow flakes are a little creamier colored the best of the snowflake mutation will be white background within a new color it takes generations to fix it properly we take the birds with the whitest background for breeding the following season jim
DarrenS

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 10:01:04 AM »

Sounds like it's an ongoing process to get the breed fixed properly. If I decided to order some, is it possible to get some of your whitest colored birds?
finnegan

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 05:26:03 PM »

This year we are not selling eggs from the snowflakes we are hatching them all for future breeders jim
GunRunner Gundogs

gunrunnergundogs.com

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 01:54:51 AM »

Jim:
 I haven't spoken with you for a while now, how is everything going with the Snowflakes?

Is the mutation still holding strong? 
What kind of fertility and hatch rate are you getting on their eggs?
Try to give me a ratio of weak verses healthy?

Just trying to keep a few notes for my records...

thank You
Kenny A.

TEAM GUNRUNNER
"www.ufta-online.com"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »