Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:01:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  someone is offering me a pair of golden phesants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: someone is offering me a pair of golden phesants  (Read 3272 times)
cateyes221981

« on: September 29, 2010, 03:10:27 AM »

i live in the city and have a large 250 sq foot aviary with some finches parakeets, and button quail i was wondering if u should take the pair of goldens also? this is just for display not trying to breed or anything?

my button quail have lived off the insects that come into the aviary and finch food plus some vegie treats we give them could the goldens be happy on this as well?
TENNESSERED

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:07:12 PM »

I think you would have a pretty good chance of things working out.  Most of my goldens ignore other birds (especially smaller).  Notice I said "most" you would have to watch carefully at first to make sure they don't pick on your buttons.  Goldens are pretty quiet, no noisier than your parakeets.  I have 13 parakeets in my parrot house and a half-dozen goldens in my pheasant house.  I've noticed when I'm hanging out clothes (yep my wife makes me do it) that the chirping of the goldens is lower in volume than the chittering of the parakeets and they are twice as far away from the clothesline than the goldens.   They don't attract flys like chickens.   Living in the city you would have to be careful because the pheasants are probably labeled as poultry and as such considered like chickens.  Most cities do not allow poultry keeping.  So, be a little private about keeping them.  What kinds of finches do you keep?  I raise lady gouldians, java rice, society and several colors of zebras.  I'm trying to figure out a way to make a walk in habitat in my home to keep some of them rather than in breeder cages.  If you have a digital camera I would love to see a picture of you aviary!
cateyes221981

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:03:27 PM »

ok thanks i got them today wow they really scared the button quail hope everyone calms down

are golden phesants hunters? like do they go after mice and stuff?
cateyes221981

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:35:28 PM »

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh146/cateyes221981/?action=view&current=P1010689.jpg

new bird how is his quality? i hate that he sits on the parakeet nest box anyway to stop him? :(
cateyes221981

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 11:54:47 PM »

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh146/cateyes221981/

took some videos what do u think of the set up and my aviary? will they be happy?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 05:36:42 AM »

I'll post the picture for you....

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 05:43:05 AM »

Another shot of him, showing his back. (looks good by the way)

cateyes221981

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »

thanks reevs here is a video at the ened u can see the vemale she is always just sitting like that doesnt move much and will let me pet her is this normal? i saw him try to mate w her today

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh146/cateyes221981/?action=view&current=P1010687.mp4

is she even a golden phesant? i mean shes bigger than the male is that normal?  I HOpey she is not a lady arm hen?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 08:53:40 PM by cateyes221981 » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 07:18:34 AM »

No time to see the video today.

I noticed in your other topic she is puffed up some.
Is she always puffed up like this ?
If puffed up all the time there are only two reasons she would do this: cold or sick (may also be scared if there are no places to hide).

Takes time for new birds to settle in & feel comfortable.

Do they have any place to hide ? Can you post a picture of the whole aviary ?
TENNESSERED

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »

Hello Catseye,
    If you want to keep your goldens from roosting on your nest boxes put a small piece of plywood or other thin material at a sharp angle from the wall to the edge of the box.  This will keep them from sitting on the box.  By nature they like to spend quite a bit of time in high places so you might give them another "high" area to perch.  This will make them a lot happier.  Mine often go to an area that is about 10' above the floor of their pen to perch and look about.  As far as your buttons go, do they have some good hiding places to go to?

Good luck
cateyes221981

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 06:35:52 PM »

hey thanks there are lots of videos of my aviary on my site u can check out

i changed my mind about the phesant sitting on top of the nest box we did put a big roosting pearch up but he prefers the nest box it might be a good thing because my red rump parakeets are such bullies i dont want them near the finches nest and they wont land on the nest box when the phesant is up there so he might be keeping the finches safe actually

he has a very nice disposition and is the only bird in the aviary that the red rumps dont try to push around so i am hoping he stays on the nest box to keep them away from it
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »