Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:55:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  8x8 Quail Pen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 8x8 Quail Pen  (Read 6301 times)
SportDog

« on: April 05, 2007, 11:38:04 AM »

I just completed building an 8x8x7 quail pen and had a question about the floor.
I wanted to put sand or dirt in it rather than have a hardware cloth floor.

Does anyone see any issues with doing this or have any suggestions on which would be better?
Thanks in advance.

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:05:11 PM »

My Quail pen. It is the small hutch. Devided down the center, making two pens, then attached to a 72 sq. ft. run for each side. Grass, clover, dwarf mugo pine and dwarf cedars. Also red & black currant bushes. (the rest is for my Amherst 576 sq. ft. run)

Smiles
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 12:07:27 PM »

your going to be cleaning it out a whole lot.
that is going to send the birds into a panic also
every time you start shoveling and raking in the pen.
How many are going to be in there?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 12:14:32 PM »

Mine is sandy dirt!  I turn it over every so often.   Grass is best, but won't hold up in that small of a pen.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
SportDog

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 01:48:56 PM »

I have 30 birds right now that will be housed in it.  I am going to start releasing some of them to see if they will recall back as I am planning on using them for dog training.

I had planned on raking it under every time I refilled food and water which should be every 2-3 weeks.
And maybe changing it out twice per year. 
I had planned on a dirt/sand floor just based on some of the stuff I had read by Mr Davis on his Quail Program Video. 

What suggestion would you make Smiles?  Hardware cloth?
Thanks for the info!

Smiles
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:51:21 PM »

If you are using it for a recall pen, I think you will be fine with the dirt floor.
only 30 birds should be ok. I have a few pens that I keep game chickens in and they are 4 x 8 with chicken wire for the floor and when the ground gets droppings all over I just move the entire cage over and keep doing this again and again.

I was picturing a 8 x8 pen with about 60 quail in it on the dirt. I thought that would be to much.  I have 4   3 x 10 quail cages and they create alot of droppings.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »