Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:12:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Arctic Brooder
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arctic Brooder  (Read 11502 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« on: September 03, 2006, 12:17:20 PM »

Here's a few pics of the brooder that I threw together a couple of years ago. Built it out of scraps I had laying around. Really didn't have any plans, just built it out of my head. It is heated with a 2' baseboard heater, fully insulated 2 1/2" walls and roof. It was intended to be put outside, that's why it has a slanted roof, but after all the work I ended up putting into it, there was no way that I was going to put it outside. It will hold 100 degrees in my unheated garage when it's down to 20 degrees. The wiring (switches, t-stats and dimmers) isn't finished in these pics. It works great.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 01:43:04 PM »

Wow. Nice brooder Trailboss.  Looks like you did put a lot of work into it.  :laugh: Thanks for sharing the pictures.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 09:41:57 PM »

You have too much time off. Not fair....!
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 09:50:16 PM »

Sweet, how much it cost you to make?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 10:40:22 PM »

Wow. Nice brooder Trailboss.  Looks like you did put a lot of work into it.  :laugh: Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Yeh, it was a lot of work, I kinda got crazy with it. Actually I was in a hurry because the eggs were incubating at the time! See how bright the garage windows are?......that's snow on the ground! I also built a stand for it on wheels....it weighs a ton!

Thanks!

You have too much time off. Not fair....!

LOL!  Heyyy now! Who's got the free truck with a full tank?   :angel:

Sweet, how much it cost you to make?

I built a parade float for a university homecoming parade with a replica of the football stadium on it for the credit union that my wife works for (I'll never do that again). They paid for all the materials.....plywood, 2x4's, etc., so keeping in mind that I was going to build a brooder and I had a blank check  :angel: , I bought good plywood, etc. knowing that I would have to tear the float down myself and would end up with all the materials.  :laugh:  Plus, I have all kinds of stuff collected over the years. I traded a local supply house 12 bobwhites (six months later) for the $30 heater and paid $40 for the 110volt reptile thermostat, plus hinges, etc. I'd guess about $3-400 if I had to buy everything. There are no plans for it either, I made it up as I went.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 10:44:15 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 01:31:18 AM »

Being the closest to the real arctic, I should test it out this winter.  I must say though, that at 20 degrees in an unheated garage that is impressive.  I try to keep them alive in a heated garage when the door opens to take cars in and out at -30 degrees.
dek
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 03:45:57 PM »

I must say though, that at 20 degrees in an unheated garage that is impressive.  I try to keep them alive in a heated garage when the door opens to take cars in and out at -30 degrees.

LOL ... I agree
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 12:28:12 AM »

I must say though, that at 20 degrees in an unheated garage that is impressive.  I try to keep them alive in a heated garage when the door opens to take cars in and out at -30 degrees.

LOL ... I agree

Thanks, and I know what you mean,  too bad there is nothing in it right now.................. :( . But they are on their way!  It is for sale, around $700 will take it.  Pick-up only.  :laugh:  My wife would shoot me.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 10:43:56 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

moose66

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 06:51:57 PM »

Great job. I am also trying to figure out what to do for a brooder in cold climates.
My concern is about building something well insulated but not shorting the birds of fresh air to be able to breath. Any words of wisdom?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 10:06:04 PM »

Great job. I am also trying to figure out what to do for a brooder in cold climates.
My concern is about building something well insulated but not shorting the birds of fresh air to be able to breath. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks....

You can see 3 pieces of wood about 6 inches square on one side and the other side only has one.  There are 4inch round holes with 1/4" hardware cloth covering them behind those pieces of wood (you can see one of the holes on the inside in the one picture).  Those pieces of wood slide in a track, allowing me to control the amount of fresh air flow into the brooder.  In warmer weather, I'll have them completely open, plus I can pull the droppings tray out a little to let air in through the bottom if it's really warm out. One side is higher than the other too.......in which lets the air flow through convection.  When it's really cold, I'll only have one on each side barely cracked.  The thing has worked great and takes about 4 guys to pick it up, so I built a stand with casters on it so I can move it around.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 12:09:05 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

moose66

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 05:11:14 PM »

I see what you are saying now. Do you have any problems with the birds pecking at the insulation?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 05:59:31 PM »

I see what you are saying now. Do you have any problems with the birds pecking at the insulation?

There is no insulation exposed. The inside is plywood, same as the outside....only painted white, with 1 1/2" foam insulation in between. Therefore the walls and top are 2 1/2" thick. It's heated with a 2' baseboard heater and the lighting is controlled with a reostat. No burned out bulbs this way and the lighting can be regulated. It has 2 panes of glass on each window with a 2 1/2" air gap between them.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 06:15:52 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

moose66

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 08:28:11 PM »

Is that the heater in the middle I see in the one picture? I was guessing to get warm air to circulate around it would need to be on a side. I like the slider idea. Our temps can go from 20F at night to 70F in the day until late spring/early summer. I hope you didnt pattend any of it because i will probobly steel some of your design. Of course mine will have more of the "rough" carpentry look.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 08:55:38 PM »

Is that the heater in the middle I see in the one picture? I was guessing to get warm air to circulate around it would need to be on a side. I like the slider idea. Our temps can go from 20F at night to 70F in the day until late spring/early summer. I hope you didnt pattend any of it because i will probobly steel some of your design. Of course mine will have more of the "rough" carpentry look.

No, you can not see the heater in those pics, it is actually on the far end. Warm are circulation is not a problem in that small of a space.  My 2 foot 110volt baseboard heater puts out 400 watts. I'll see if I can find some of the other pictures of it and send them to you or try to post them here.

Temps here are the same way (southern Ohio).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 08:40:24 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »