Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:20:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Fence poles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fence poles  (Read 51091 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: July 31, 2007, 02:35:09 PM »

Bought this place three years ago & just look at all the good stuff I seem to have collected !

:laugh:

The grey poles are 4" steel , used for gas lines. Most is heavy wall. There are 16 @ 15', some a bit longer. The smaller yellow pipe is 3". I'll use that to brace the three corner posts at each corner. My plan is to drill a 10" hole 6+ feet deep. Concrete them in. It will leave me 9' above ground.
Poles (pipe) between the corners will be put in with a hoe pack (some may have seen them on an excavator packing dirt, or some other type of vibrating packer).
I'll be collecting pipe till next spring break-up & then get all of it in place then. All told I'll be using about 200 to do the main place. I'll need a few more when/if I buy the small chunk of property to the south of my "barn yard".
I know of several places to get the pipe, and best of all ? It's free ! I'll be removing the plastic jacket, so the pipe will be just tar coated.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:48:17 PM by Reeves » Logged
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 02:01:20 PM »

4"? A little bit overkill, but hey it's free! Have a few parts "connections" do you? :laugh: That steel ought to last you forever... ;)

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 03:17:59 PM »

That steel is just the start. I have about 175ish of the 4"x15' & about 20-30 of the 3" to pick up yet !
Then find about 6k to buy the fence........
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 07:22:30 PM »

I'd just like to have just one 4" piece about 7' long to put my cast iron horse head on that I've had for 2 years, while looking (scrounging) for a piece of 4" pipe that I didn't have to get a second mortgage in order to obtain it.  :cry:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 02:59:25 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:34:13 PM »

I know, steel has jumped in price big time !
That heavy wall (grey pipe) sells for $20.00/meter(yard).
I have about 120-150m laying there - 2400. to 3000. worth of pipe - so far.
The one dark pipe is just plain pipe used for piles. It is only worth about $10.00m and is 8m long.
Not sure what the 3" is worth, maybe about $15.00m ? If so I have about $1500.00 sitting there.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 10:37:17 PM by Reeves » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 10:06:25 AM »

T-boss, found some more pipe, same as the grey in the picture, though not likely the heavy wall. 260m (780ft.) plus about 10 pipe pipe (un-coated) that is 20-25' long.
I was out looking for Saskatoons & to see if a big river near me was clear for fishing. I also worked on this job site a couple months ago ! It is within site of my place as well !
I've made the calls to see if they'll let me have it all......fingers crossed !
(about 6k worth of pipe !)
PAcortunix

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 03:44:06 PM »

You got quiet the stash there reeves! Do I see a future flight pen in the making?
Cant wait to see what you make :laugh:

~Owner and Breeder of quality~
Jumbo Brown Cortunix Quail
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 12:08:56 PM »

Yes, a future "flight" pen is being made in my head the last few days. I'll wait & see if I get the right pipe for the "project" before posting info/pics of it. Next spring ?

About the pile of pipe "found". It was given to the farmer who's land we crossed. Good news , I talked with him & it turns out he "owes" me a favor, as I let him store farm equipment in my pole barn for a year. Bad news on this, he is not the type to return such favors. No idea if I'll end up with any of it. (no sorage in the future for him, maybe !)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »

Talked with the farmer that ended up with the 780+ feet of pipe. He will not part with it.

However, just finished another short pipeline & got two more pile pipe, about 20' each. Also 120' of more of the grey 4" pipe. A 10' section of chanel iron and about 10 "pups" (short sections of pipe) These can be welded onto the pile pipe, if needed when I put them into the ground. When you vibrate them in, you normally vibrate them in till they go no farther.

Only 350 more of the 4"x15' pipes to go.......(to do all 12 acres @ 15' spacing)

Start Monday on another 3km pipeline. I know I'll end up with a bunch, as the foreman & I get along well.

T-boss, if anyone is headed your way, I'll send a 7' piece to you.....unless you want me to mail it to you collect ?  :laugh:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 02:58:33 PM »

:P

That would be great. Might as well send 20' (two 10' will work) while you're at it. Upon receipt I will immediately send you a most generous amount of cash.   :wink:

I might as well go out and find me a nice Locust tree and whittle it down with my trusty ole pocket knife! 8)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 05:07:04 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 01:01:50 AM »

That was COD for shipping costs ! Heck, I didn't want anything for the pipe !

:angel:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 08:43:19 AM »

New project started.....The other day we were at the neighbors & they raise Mini horses. They talked about a new pen. So a couple days later I went over to see about where & how big of a new pen they are thinking of. Turns out he got called back drilling (oil/gas) so I thought I'd do them the favor of building the new pen.
Yesterday I cut up all the 3" pipe (which is actually 3.5 OD) into 10 @ 9' and 3 @ 11'. Today I'll be augering holes for the pipe , all being concreted in 3' deep. The posts will be 6'2" above ground, except the 3 @ 11', they'll be 8' above ground. This is for the lean-to on one end.
After the concrete sets for a few days, (I too got called back to work Monday for a 3km pipeline) I'll weld caps on top of all the pipe. On the tall pipe I'll weld a square U to hold the roof support, as well as the back 3 pipe. Bolt 2x4s every two(ish) feet on three sides, which tin will cover (same for roof).
I have a couple steel gates here, (like new, no rust) and the 8' one will be attached via drilling through a corner pipe, then fill it with concrete to make it more ridged/stable.
I also have a bunch of 9ga coated wire. This will be attached top and bottom to make the fence so it will not bend over (top) and help prevent critters from pushing in at the bottom.
She has to decide on leaving the yellow jacket on, or peel it off & have just tar coated posts. I also have the tar to touch up the pipe so it doesn't rust where needed !
Pen will be about 30'x60'.
Strong enough for a Grizzly......made for Mini horses  :laugh:

(he will pay for this....I have a lot more fencing to do than him !  :laugh:)

(opps, just checked the weather report: T-storms all day/60%....looks like I'll be getting wet)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 08:45:25 AM by Reeves » Logged
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 09:03:50 AM »

You can come on down any time you want and help fence here, no horses but you know what these birds are like, never seem to have enough. :laugh: I was going to work on those 600sq' Averies today, rained all of yesterday p.m. and still raining. Guess i too am going to get damp.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 05:47:27 PM »

Rush like crazy, then slam the brakes on. Turns out there are two gas lines near by. They are calling Alberta First Call in the morning.
One day project just got a lot longer....
PAcortunix

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 07:12:47 PM »

WOW reeves is your aviary is going to be 12 acres! Thats amazing what are you going to be housing in this? Based on how nice your pens are now Im betting this aviary is going to be a mini paradise. I cant wait to see it!! Are you going to be planting it too?
 :angel:

~Owner and Breeder of quality~
Jumbo Brown Cortunix Quail
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »