Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:26:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Switzerland - Gun control turned down
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Switzerland - Gun control turned down  (Read 2155 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: February 25, 2009, 10:52:54 PM »

(found on another site)

The initiatives regurgitated the same BS as everywhere else. Gun control is needed to lower crime, guns are dangerous in hands of unqualified people, guns are used to commit suicide, private gun ownership makes it easy for criminals and terrorist to have access to guns and so on. We heard it all before. In addition the initiatives demanded that the army should stop the practice of letting soldiers take assault rifles and other weapons home and instead turn them in to the army arsenals. A separate initiative demanded a law that firearms should be stored in a locked cabinet (nobody in Switzerland locks their guns away, uses trigger locks, or stores them in a gun case.)

Yesterday my concerns ended by a ruling of Switzerland’s highest court, the constitutional court. I am not going to translate all 15 pages of it just a few tidbits.

The court turned the initiatives down before they made to the parliament for debate. The court concluded.

Any form of gun control, including proficiency testing as mandatory requisite to firearm ownership is a direct violation of the constitution, in addition the court warned that such measures must be regarded, as outlined in the constitution, as and attempt of high treason against the country and people.

The court further concluded that rising crime, world wide instability and terrorism are even more, NOT LESS, reason to keep a well armed citizenry in order to uphold and guarantee peace, freedom and ward of enemies from outside or within the borders of the country.

The court further concludes that the argument that guns are used in suicide is no reason to limit access to weapons. The constitution clearly states that the government shall not infringe upon a free persons individual decision unless that decision threatens the safety and freedom of other members of the community or the state. Suicide, the court ruled, doesn’t threaten the safety and freedom, or harm others and therefore the state has no right to interfere or attempt to prevent that person’s decision. A free man has the guaranteed right to do with his life as it suits him and therefore such person has the right to end his own life at his own will.

As to locking away guns and mandatory trigger locks the court ruled that, to keep arms in any manner that would prevent quick access defeats the purpose of fast response in defense situation against intruders. Storing firearms in a locked room or disabling them temporarily is against the constitution which rules that free Swiss citizens should OPENLY own, display and bear arms as a means of defense and as a visible sign of a free man.

The court addressed the rising crime argument with. Every single research this court had read in the past proves that gun control and, or bans result in an increase of violent crimes. It is logical to assume that taking away the means of defense will increase crime simply due to the fact that there is no risk factor for criminals to consider. To curb violent crime this court recommends that the existing criminal laws be fully applied with no exception and to the highest extent possible.

In the same wash the court ruled against another initiative that would have outlawed smoking in public places. Again the court ruled that a smoking ban is a direct violation of the constitution, which forbids the government to establish any rules, and laws that infringe upon the personal choice right of every free Swiss citizen. There is not enough independent evidence from which this court could conclude that secondhand smoke bears a health risk to others. Therefore this court views any law proposals that would outlaw smoking in public places as constitutional violation.

A big weight has been lifted of my shoulders with that decision. I am pleased to see that there are still judges in the constitutional court that are not swayed by liberal and new world order thinking.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:27:57 PM »

U.S. Supreme Court just overturned Washington D.C.`s band on handguns. I guess that local gov. just thinks that they can overlook the U.S. Constitution.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 02:33:45 AM »

It is amazing how those who tout their, so called, "pro choice" philosophy allow not for choices which exercise God given rights as human beings.  Preach absolute tolerance for the basest of appetites, but are intolerent of the mere idea of personal liberty, rugged (or even refined) individualism, or the supposition that government, especially centralized government is the natural enemy of the people.

While overturning the District of Criminals gun ban, our Supreme Court did not settle the Second Amendment prohibition of the infringement of the right to keep and bare arms.  A case could be made that it upheld the "infringement" of, while reaffirming the prohibition of banning the right, to keep arms.  They did not address the right to bare arms in the defence of life, liberty, the persuit of happiness, or in the elimination of tyranny, foreign, or domestic.   

No doubt the Swiss Jurists are unlikely to have any appetite for assisting us in reclaiming justice.  We could use five.  Or nine.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
skipper3905

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:44:03 PM »

Reeves,

Good read. I spent some time in Switzerland back in 1970. Pretty much every male between 18 and 45 were in military reserves. Often on Friday you would see men with machine guns, assault rifles, and morters on public transportation or on the street on their way to training. Guns everywhere, nobody paid any attention to it.

There was no place in any Swiss city you did not feel safe walking around at three in the morning.  Almost no crime in the country.

I have no idea if that has changed but guns seemed to be no harm to their society then.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:34:16 AM »

Dig This:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090324/ap_on_go_co/border_violence_guns

They'll use any excuse they can dig up to keep the ball rolling.    s53

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »