Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Texas A&M quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Texas A&M quail  (Read 16610 times)
dan

« on: September 29, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »

I have been raising bobs I seem to be doing fair at it . A city guy gave me some texas A&M birds & they are layin there heads off. I put some in the incubator & shure enough 16 days & there we got more quail . My question is (I have done a search & get different answers) How long before I should butcher them? I say at least 10 weeks on bobs & I read 6 or 7 weeks on A&M is that righ?
 Thank you
 D
Circle R Ranch Kevin Rockholt

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:39:46 AM »

My understanding of it is this,  At 7 weeks they are fully mature,  but max weight gain is somewhere between 7-10 weeks.  We typically harvest between 8-10 weeks on the Coturnix.  Hope this helps there are several threads on this if you do some searching if your looking for more info.

Circle R Ranch - Kevin Rockholt - Pasadena, Tx - Licensed by the State of TX.  Lic. #  4661
dan

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:48:22 PM »

Thank you, i am looking at butcher time of 6 to 7 weeks . Nice tender & fairly big. these birds are really easy to hatch , nearly 100% rate . & grow out fast & saves feed.
 D
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 06:45:53 AM »

I got my A&M's from the ones who developed this bird and I've kept them tue to their great size. They butcherd them at 6 weeks old old but I do wait until their about 10 weeks old after I've weighed them and pull out any small ones (if any). I rarely have any small ones as I've kept them only til their 8-9 months old and I butcher the rst of them so I keep the birds fresh and the hatch rates. I am very exspensive on my A&M's cuz as they told me to cull heavily I'll keep my flock tue to their exspectations. I don't mass produce them as I just love throwing them on the grill. I've got some 6 week old birds on the grill on my website www.tlsgamebirdfarm.com and you'll see how big they are at 6 weeks old. I had to get them on the grill as their just the best birds I've ever had. I do have the only "originals" that I know of since I got the last ones from the ones who developed the bird before they retired form the business. I do keep in touch wioth them to let them know how their going and hopefully anyone who gets them form me will do as I do cull them heavily and not mass produce them. I hope this helps out some. Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
Circle R Ranch Kevin Rockholt

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:23:13 AM »

Thank you, i am looking at butcher time of 6 to 7 weeks . Nice tender & fairly big. these birds are really easy to hatch , nearly 100% rate . & grow out fast & saves feed.
 D

Hey Dan, as far as feed is concerned those little boggers will have a major appetite change at maturity!  They will begin to consume alot!    s020

Circle R Ranch - Kevin Rockholt - Pasadena, Tx - Licensed by the State of TX.  Lic. #  4661
dan

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »

thanks for the help . I will wach the feed they do eat a lot.. & those ones on the grill just says 6 weeks to me
 D
lamike
Expert Member

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »

Are these texas A&M quail white meat like bobwhites or darker meat like coutrnix ?

If it aint broke don't try to fix it
Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 05:53:55 PM »

Are these texas A&M quail white meat like bobwhites or darker meat like coutrnix ?
I bought 50 back in the spring, and they were dark meat birds.
dan

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »

randell , I have the ones that are white meat . Kind of white meat like a wild turkey breast.. yummy!!
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »

Yes those are my 6 week old birds on the grill. I will change it Thanks for getting my attention on that. Also they are ALL white meat. The "original" A&M's are ALL white meat and as I've said I've got them. They do eat ALOT of feed(and waste it as well). Its been said that they eat as much in 6 weeks as a 16 week old bobwhite does now thats a big differance. Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy www.tlsgamebirdfarm.com
lamike
Expert Member

Personal Text

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 01:03:37 PM »

How would a fella get ahold of a few of those white meat A&M birds or eggs ?

If it aint broke don't try to fix it
dan

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »

How would a fella get ahold of a few of those white meat A&M birds or eggs ?
I have eggs every day
 they are fertile . I had some hatch today. Pm me & I will be able send you some.
 Dan
Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »

randell , I have the ones that are white meat . Kind of white meat like a wild turkey breast.. yummy!!
We are talking about a white feathered quail with a little bit of black marking on them, right?  If so, the meat on the ones we dressed were kinda dark............at least darker than the pretty white-meated bobwhite.  Maybe mamma hen got hooked up with a dove s020  They cooked up good and tasty, anyhow!
dan

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 08:42:35 AM »

We are talking about a white feathered quail with a little bit of black marking on them, right?  If so, the meat on the ones we dressed were kinda dark............at least darker than the pretty white-meated bobwhite.  Maybe mamma hen got hooked up with a dove s020  They cooked up good and tasty, anyhow!

s020 s020 Maybe POPPA was a ROLLING STONE   i6
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »