Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:46:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Question about cross-breeding quail?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about cross-breeding quail?  (Read 4561 times)
Randall

Personal Text

« on: August 24, 2009, 09:37:26 PM »

Will Bobwhites and Wisconsin Jumbos cross-breed successfully?  If so, what's the results in offspring? (oversize Bobwhites?)  ty2
Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:00:37 PM »

Surely somebody know this??????????
Sialia

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:36:46 AM »

Wisconsin Jumbos are Bobwhites.  They are just a larger strain.  Just as Tennessee Reds, Mexican Speckleds, and Georgia Giants are Bobwhites.    So the answer to your question is 'yes.'
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:29:36 PM by Sialia » Logged
JessBeePaws

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 03:59:20 PM »

I don't know much about quail, but I know that for other species, if you are going to crossbreed, the larger breed should be the female because trying to have the smaller breed push out a larger baby or egg would be hard on their bodies. Its easier for the larger breed to lay eggs of smaller breeds.

My posse: 1 Valley Quail & 2 Bobwhites.
Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 10:16:35 PM »

Thank y'all for the input.  My wife's grandfather wants to kill a few of my monster herd of 49 birds (to eat), but I'm really wanting to hang on to them until next spring and try and raise a bunch more.  Knock on wood, I've had real good success with them.......raising them from 4-6 weeks old back in early July until now.  Only lost one bird the second day.  Looks like I have more roosters than hens, and more Northern BW's than Wisconsin Jumbos, so I'll try to mate the Northern BW roosters with the Jumbo Wisconsin hens when breeding time comes. 

The roosters (and some hens) are very vocal now early in the morning and late in the evening, and I LOVE THAT SOUND j2

So, I've got to get them ready for a Mississippi winter, as now they're in a 3' x 9' x (3' high) coop with 1/2" mesh all over inside a very large tractor shed.  I'd like to hear from some of y'all on what you do to keep your waterers from freezing over???

Again, thank y'all for your intelligent input....... 

Randall
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:28:29 PM by Randall » Logged
greyghost
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 10:51:35 PM »

Hi Randall, if you have electricity in the building use plug-in dog bowl heaters, they only turn on at freezing temps. If not, run an extension cord, it is worth the effort. I used to water twice a day. No more. Get them at Farm and Fleet or Tractor supply. Ghost.
Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:17:55 PM »

Hi Randall, if you have electricity in the building use plug-in dog bowl heaters, they only turn on at freezing temps. If not, run an extension cord, it is worth the effort. I used to water twice a day. No more. Get them at Farm and Fleet or Tractor supply. Ghost.
Thanks, Greyghost.  I remember reading that somewhere now that you mentioned it.  It sure is nice to have a place to come for this kinda info....
Thanks again!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »