Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:12:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  feed recipe for quail
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: feed recipe for quail  (Read 36466 times)
casnyder
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 10:13:51 AM »

http://www.dbs.nus.edu.sg/research/fish/livefood/mealwm.html

The above listed site suggests that they weigh in at around 50% protein.  They're quite easy to raise.

Redworms are easy to grow indoors on vegetable kitchen waste as well.  I assume they have an equally high protein content.  Worm farm instructions are available many places on line, as are starter packages of redworms.  Basically you put moist newspaper and some vegetable trimmings in a plastic box, throw in some worms, and you get out more worms, and the finest fertilizer you can find.  They reduce the vegetable matter to what looks and smells like good, black, dirt.  I assume it is all worm poop though.

Anyway, there's two easy to raise "bugs" that you could feed to quail.  They both can eat what is more or less waste, and provide a boatload of protein.

Be well,
Chris
casnyder
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 10:22:30 AM »

Here's a link to a site about people feeding mealworms to songbirds.

http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/wildlife_gardening/mealworm_feeder.htm
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 08:09:20 AM »

Thanks, might be good for fishing also. Hummmm....will visit the sites as soon as I get the opportunity. I am on the school computer right now.  :shock:

Five Hollers Quail Farm
lloydc30
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 06:20:37 PM »

i read in a post that you mix this and that and sometimes they eat more of this than that so you mix it differently why can't you just set out 4 feeders each with it's own food and let the birds eat what they want ? can this be done?
 :?:
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 06:00:03 AM »

I supppose you could do that, we just mix it and go with that there is always a small amount of waste, but right now they are eating about 95% of everything leaving just a small amount of soy meal in the bottom of the feeders. To each his own if that works for your birds then go for it all I am looking at is the overall protein they need to be healthy how you go about getting them that protein is up to you. Let me know if your method works.  :D

Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
joip
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 09:01:39 AM »

Overhere in Australia we are so far behind the eight ball when it comes to quail feed, the southern states have abit more to choose from, but I'am in a northern state in which we don't have one particular type of quail or gamebird mix what so ever, so blending your own sound a great way to go, would you roughly know with the mix that you make up the % of protein you are getting also with your milo and wheat is it whole or crush?

Thanks Joip
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 06:15:55 PM »

If I understand your question correctly the only things that are crushed are the cracked corn and the soy meal, the wheat and milo are whole and the birds love it that way, I have also been giving them Thistle seed, which is what the Finches here eat all the time but the Bob's love it. If that is not your question let me know.

Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2004, 06:18:30 PM »

I am sorry the protein % is 19. That is the requirement across the board for Bobwhites, except for the young un's, and we will continue to feed them the starter grower. I sure hope this helps you  :D
Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
joip
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2004, 04:04:57 AM »

You got both my questions, very much appreciated

Thanks Joip
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »