Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:52:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Chicks sticking to shell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chicks sticking to shell  (Read 3290 times)
Birderguy

« on: February 04, 2005, 09:26:40 AM »

I am incubating Bobwhite quail.  Seem to have several chicks sticking to the shell.  I am using a Little Giant incubator with the fan. I have made sure the water levels are up and even added a couple of sponges to increase the humidity.  Is there much else I can do to prevent more chicks from sticking to the shell?
penny's dad
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 05:38:15 PM »

SORRY I DIDN'T SEE THIS EARLIER I QUESS THAT THE HATCH IS OVER BY NOW. I HAVE HAD BIRDS STICK TO THE SHELL BEFORE AND IT WAS BECAUSE OF POOR TURNING. I ADDED AN AUTO TURNER TO MY BATOR AND THIS SOLVED THIS PROBLEM.  :)    P.D.
Birderguy

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 11:30:13 AM »

Many thanks for your reply - I enjoy your posts and humor.  I failed to mention in my earlier post that I do have the autoturner for the incubator so I am just trying to get a better handle on anything else I can do to reduce this issue.  I do realize also that no matter what there are going to be few perfect hatches.  Somewhere I think I read or heard that bobwhite seems to stick more than other species.  Do you or anyone have experience with one species of eggs being more prone to sticking than another?
penny's dad
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 07:19:14 PM »

SORRY I DON'T HAVE THE EXPERENCE WITH OTHER BIRDS. I HATCHED A LITTER OF PHAROH QUAIL BUT I DON'T REMEMBER IF THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH STICKING. :?     P.D.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »