Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:53:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Feeding suet (bird) cakes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Feeding suet (bird) cakes  (Read 5690 times)
ncffp163
« on: November 17, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »

Hi ya'll,

Hadn't been around in a while...been kinda busy. But I've got a question. Has anyone ever fed their game birds suet or bird cakes? Was wondering if it would be ok to feed the birds the cakes some during the winter months to give them a little more variety. Thanks ya'll

Eric
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 07:20:24 AM »

Personally I've never fed suet to my gamebirds. I do throw out the grease drippings and my chickens seem to take it very well so I can't see much harm in trying it.  Suet feed is primarily targeting the insect eaters although when seed is added (as most suet cakes call for) it provides for the insect and seed eaters as well.  Might be just the ticket in mid-late January on one of those freezing nights. Interesting to see your results-please follow up. 

David
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 07:58:56 AM »

I gave one to my bobs once........they all made it through it!   :laugh:   It may have an effect on the meat quality if they ate it constantly?  Maybe you might set a record for the fattest gamebird? 

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 12:00:35 PM »

I've heard from quite a few people that they are a good supplement for the birds. It doesn't hurt to put one in the aviary every once in a while...

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
tomorton

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 01:04:11 PM »

We regularly feed chickens and quail suet cakes in the coldest winter months...figuring they can use the fat to keep warm.  The chickens devour it, while the quail take their time picking at it.
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:21:04 PM »

I'll be giving my quail some grit so I can give them an apple slice every now and then but what kind of suet cake is good for bobwhite quail? There are so many to choose frowm
ncffp163
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 11:13:58 PM »

What I used was Wild Bird Chow "Cardinal Cake" from Purina. But like tomorton said...they took their time eating it. At least 3-4 days. I'll hang a head of lettuce in the cage and its gone in less than a day.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »