Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:50:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Coturnix Quail butt inside out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coturnix Quail butt inside out  (Read 5016 times)
thegriffiths
« on: June 19, 2006, 07:02:52 PM »

My best female Coturnix quails butt seems to be inside out and protruding about half an inch. 

What can be done??

JohnInDixon
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 08:29:30 PM »

Sorry, all I can think of are one liner jokes...

pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 08:50:19 PM »

I would remove her from the males and keep the protrusion as clean as possible. It could be from over breeding or high ammounts of eggs being laid. She might heal faster if you limit her light for a while. kind of reverse induced breeding, You will be forcing her to cease egg production until she is healthy enough to resume.

mike
faro

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 10:48:19 PM »

This condition is called "prolapse". The oviduct has been pushed outside the vent, and needs to be pushed back in manually. It can also cause the death of the hen if eggs are unable to pass and she becomes eggbound also.

If the tissue is bloody, you should clean it and apply white suger to help stop the bleeding. Otherwise, clean it well and apply Preperation H to help shrink the swelling. Gentley push it back inside the vent. It will probably not stay too long. But this should be done several times a day until improvment.

As Pamike suggested, she needs to be removed from the others to prevent "picking". Also reduce her daily light to stop her from laying.

Good luck!
thegriffiths
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 11:42:33 PM »

I thought it might be a prolapse.  I had heard something like that with chickens but I couldnt remember the term.

THank you for the input...even the humor, JohnInDixon...glad to see there are people out there as nuts as I am.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »