Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:55:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Pheasant Losing Feathers... Help Please
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pheasant Losing Feathers... Help Please  (Read 10100 times)
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« on: November 06, 2009, 10:33:39 PM »

Hello All,

I noticed last night that about a half dozen of my pheasant are beginning to lose their feathers near there rear.  I have 175 pheasant at about 18 weeks in a 6500 sq ft flight pen.  I am feeding the birds a 23% feed that they have been on since week 9 (30% prior).  Their tail feathers are real long for their age (I think), about 24 to 28" long.  They are missing about 3 to 4" of feathers off the stem towards the base of the tail feathers, not the entire feather itself.  I did not notice any pecking when I was out there.  Cover in the pen is about completely down with the time of the year, but there is still plenty of brush and pines that they go in.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 08:39:35 AM »

They are missing about 3 to 4" of feathers off the stem towards the base of the tail feathers, not the entire feather itself.

At the body, or the tip of the tail ?

If at the body, you have picking going on. Which will lead to cannibalism.
If at the tip of the tail, just wear and tear from the ground etc.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 06:46:42 AM »

At the body and its just the same half dozen.  I watched them again yesterday and did not notice any pecking.  I'll try to get a couple pics today.  I did give them some terramycin in case there is more of an underlying health problem.  I was in the adjacent pen last weekend catching chukar and they were constantly flushing so could this be a stress problem?

Thanks!

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:05:01 AM »

Odds are, you'll never see them picking each other: they'll be busy watching you.

You may have too many in one pen.

Stopping this can be hard, once started.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 05:03:47 PM »

Old Post, I know... Well, I had a very different problem when I started this post a few years ago.  My pheasant are about 12 weeks right now and their coloring is coming in pretty good.  However, none of the males have any tail feathers.  There are about 400 in a 13000SF flight pen on 23% feed (just switched from 30% two weeks ago) and if I remember correctly, they should have 4 to 6" tails by now.  With only 8 weeks to delivery, is there any chance their tails will come in much?  And, same, as last time, I have not noticed any pecking or really any rough play going on.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:02:42 AM »

Tails are the last thing that comes in. Don't expect the tail to be as long as 1 year adults.

Just because pheasants become adults at 20wks, doesn't mean they will be full feathered. They molt between this cycle.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »