Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:43:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  bit of advise
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: bit of advise  (Read 11321 times)
backcountry
Expert Member

« on: March 03, 2009, 04:32:16 PM »

i am wanting to raise a few pheasants  the pin size im thinking of is 25X50 divided into 5 sections of 10X25 how many can i put in each section   also will 2 in net work for the top or do i need 1 in

thanks

ps i just found this board to day and i love it
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 04:43:09 PM »

I'd only put pairs in pens that size, to prevent problems.
Also, go with the one inch netting, for the same reason.
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:30:19 PM »

Backcountry, If you are going to divide your pen into 5 sections I would use a solid divider not just wire or netting. This will keep the fighting  down among the males during breeding season. thank ya Jim Oh   s016        to the forum
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:54:52 PM by jimmurray3 » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:25:42 PM »

Good catch Jim !
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »

so only 1 pair per section use solid dividers  i dont understand how 1 inch net over 2 will make less fighting though

what would u guys (and gals) do with a 25 X50 leave it as 1 or split it to 2 ,3  exc i want birds to be happy but i would like have some different kinds   trying to talk wife into letting me make it 50X50 (not going so good)
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »

Divide your 5 sections with solid dividers netting on top is fine and use 1/2x1/2 wire for the floor j2 Thank ya Jim
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »

I wouldn't put complete to the top dividers. You can put up 2.5 - 3' high sight barriers. This will let an air flow happen.

What are you doing for a protective structure ? Built inside, or outside ?

What are your goals for raising Pheasants ? Pets ? Or.....?

I also wouldn't put a wire floor in (Jim may be thinking Quail ?)

The 250 sq. ft. pens you (had?) planned will be on the low side of OK for a long term pen.
You want the grass to survive. If it doesn't, your pen is likely too small.
Of course, it will depend on soil type and if you water it (I do mine).

(see "My Pens" in this section for ideas, as well as all the other aviary pictures)
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:53:16 PM »

the soil is clay and rock im having 1 or 2 loads of top soil brought in and mabe sod on top of that about half of it wil be under a pine tree (i live in Missouri and want them to have the shade) the building is going to be on the out side to save space its going to be 8 foot tall 10 foot 4X4 with 2 feet in the ground they are going to be pets

wire floor? was just going  to use the grass as the floor
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:17:59 PM »

Grass floor is fine.
Sounds like you have it all under control now ?
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 02:06:23 AM »

just dont know if i want to put dividers in it and how many how would u do a 25X50 pen
how big does it need to be to hold more than 1 pair of birds (im going to cut down a tree in the yard and see if i can maby get a 25 X 100)
here is some of the things i am looking at

bought this yesterday http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=270346292193
and im in love with the LADY AMHERST PHEASANT and the yellow and red golden

the net im looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200286624593

here are the ?
1 can u have more than 1 pair in a pen ?
2 can u mix pairs say 1 pair yellow golden and 1 lady?
3 if u can have more than 1 how big of a pen do i need?

sorry for all the ? but i want to make sure birds are happy im   hoping to start the build next week

thanks tim
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:39:18 AM by backcountry » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 11:05:58 AM »

Big incubator for just a few birds....but I've yet to see anyone stop at just a few birds !
Looks good from what I can see (incubator plans).

But keeping in mind they'll be mainly pets.....

I'd make the 25x50 pen into 4. This will give you a whisker over 312 sq. ft. per pen. Nice size. Divideed into 3 would give you a whisker over 416 sq. ft. per pen, and this would likely be better in the long run. Grass would have a better chance at surviving.
Plant some clover in it as well. Don't kill any weeds. They will be the first thing they eat down to nothing. Only weed free places here are in the pens. Clover, once well established, will stand up for a long time.

Before you place top soil on the clay, you may want to till it up to loosen it up. Stuff will grow better. Be careful not to damage the tree roots though.

The netting I'll let the other lads here advise you on. I do recall some type being better than the other type. Being in Canada our netting may differ a lot.

Do NOT mix species ! You'll end up with a blood bath ! Only one pair in each pen. You can , however, have more than one hen.
But being you are wanting mainly pets, I'd stick with just a pair.
The Ruffed species are good sitters. Most often they'll hatch their own an raise them well.

Keep in mind that no matter what you do in rgards to raising young ones, you'll need more pens to grow them out (incubated).
If you let them raised their own you'll get less, but a better birds will result. On the plus side of this, the chicks can stay with the parents till the next spring, before they need to be moved to another pen.

If you end up with lots of young, and they do not sell over the winter or early the next spring, you'll have to move them into pens of just males and just hens.
The males will need to be in pens where they are unable to see any hens. If they can see hens, they'll fight.
It isn't "nice" fighting like you may have seen chickens fight. It is  blindingly fast and to the death.

If you get real hot weather, then you may want to think about installing a mister in each pen. This can be used to water the grass, plus the mist will cool the pens during hot spells.

I don't have any misters installed. I've planted so many trees and bushes, the water is running all summer to water everything !
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:21:59 AM »

http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7466

Above link is a good example of sight barriers.

Don't be afraid to ask questions !

Another note.
It is always good to plan well ahead, even years.
If you worked on your soil and ladscaping this year, and got the frame and protective structure up this year, the wire, netting and birds next year would be a good thing.
No need to rush into it. It's very hard to make changes/improvements after the birds are in pens.

Also try not to get into feeling the need to hatch all the eggs you can.

Try to get your birds from reputable breeders, and unrelated (male / female). It's very hard to find good stock in the Ruffed species.
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 11:38:27 AM »

wow pretty birds what kind are they ?

well some good news. i just cut 3 trees out of the back yard to have more room for the pen (wife is going to kill me when she gets home) but  no pain no glory. lol
there should be plenty of shade 2 sides are next to a line of trees and .  a mister my pond is next to the other side so i will look into a pump.
i am going to build a separate  pen for the young
also i was planning on using a disk before putting on the soil plan with wheat (for fast start ) clover
what are  Ruffed species as y mentioned
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »

Shame on you for cutting trees down !  :grin:

Ruffed = Golden and Amherst. (Yellow or Ghigi, are a natural color mutation of the Golden which professor Ghigi , in Italy , managed to get to breed true)

Birds in the link are Silver Pheasants.

Bird in this next link is a new species I'll be getting this fall.
http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7286

I will also be getting (barring any disasters) this fall, Swinoe's.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 12:01:24 PM »

You need to torment yourself   s020

http://gbwf.org/

Look on the left side under "Species Accounts", and spend some time there !
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »