Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Rescue dogs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rescue dogs  (Read 4285 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: February 28, 2009, 07:10:46 PM »

Department of Agriculture Removes Approximately 200 Dogs in Ozark County
Total Dogs Rescued by State Department Tops 1100 in 2009

(JEFFERSON CITY, Mo.) – Today, the Missouri Department of Agriculture took action to protect dogs living in inadequate conditions at an unlicensed breeding kennel near Tecumseh, Mo., located in Ozark County.  The Department of Agriculture’s Animal Care Facilities Act (ACFA) program worked with the Ozark County Sheriff’s Department to take possession of approximately 200 dogs.  District Veterinarian Larry Forgey with the Missouri Department of Agriculture was also on the scene to assist. 

This ongoing investigation began in Sept. 2008 when River Valley Puppies Kennels, who has never passed an inspection with the state department, was asked to surrender 50 dogs, pay the Department of Agriculture a licensing penalty fee and have a clear inspection with no violations by Jan. 31, 2009.  River Valley Puppies Kennels violated the stipulated agreement and has never been issued a license with the state Department of Agriculture.

“Unlicensed breeders in the state put reputable licensed breeding professionals at a competitive disadvantage and the health and safety of the animals at risk,” said Dr. Jon Hagler, director of the Department of Agriculture.  “The Department of Agriculture will continue to crack down on those who willfully violate the law.”

Recently, the Department of Agriculture discovered the unlicensed kennel continuing their business and took the necessary steps to remove the medium breed dogs from the property.  Operating without a license in Missouri is a Class A Misdemeanor punishable by a $1000 fine.  The Department of Agriculture is working with animal shelters across Missouri for placement.  Since Jan. 2009, ACFA has taken 23 enforcement actions on substandard facilities in Missouri, resulting in over 1100 dogs rescued. 

The Department of Agriculture requires any animal shelter, pound or dog pound, boarding kennel, commercial kennel, contract kennel, pet shop, exhibition facility, dealer or commercial breeder to be licensed and inspected annually.  Missouri is one of the only states in the nation with an animal care program.  ACFA Inspectors routinely work with local Sheriff’s departments and not-for-profit organizations to rescue animals from substandard facilities.

For more information or to report a substandard facility, contact ACFA at (573) 751-3076.

Permission to cross-post.

Hi everyone! I have received updated information about the 75 GSPs from the Missouri kennel fire. There are several items of interest, all outlined below, so please read thoroughly.

I have just spoken to Brianna in KS. Her group, Midwest PAWS, will be taking in all 75 GSPs tomorrow, as the MO Dept of Agriculture has offered to transport the dogs to her. They would only release the dogs to a licensed MO rescue. Brianna’s rescue vet has offered his adoption center, which has 40 kennels, and, extra space for crates. The kennel fire resulted in burn injuries to some dogs. The most critically injured dogs were taken in by a local MO Humane Society, but Brianna expects some of the dogs that arrive tomorrow will have some minor burns that will require a bit of extra veterinary care. And, we do not yet know whether any of the @#$*&^$ are pregnant.

Here are some of the current needs:

There is an IMMEDIATE NEED for funds for veterinary care. The estimate for the “basics” on each dog (vaccines, spay/neuter, HW test, etc.) is about $120. There may be more of a discount available, given the volume, but that is the initial estimate based on the vet’s normal rescue pricing. I will be setting up a fundable.org fundraiser for these dogs in the coming days, but the funds through such a fundraiser are not delivered immediately, only upon completion of the fundraiser. Therefore, if you are able to make a monetary donation for the immediate needs of the dogs, please do so through the Pay Pal link on the group’s website:  http://www.midwestpaws.com.   Please note that Brianna’s group also places Weims and English Pointers, but ALL of the funds received through this link will be dedicated to the GSPs in need.

The group desperately needs crates, blankets, bedding, food, and other supplies (leashes, collars, toys, etc. would also be helpful). A great way to make this happen is to shop online, and have the items shipped directly to the address below. I suggest a wholesale site like www.petedge.com for great pricing on the basics. Or, you can use other online retailer of choice. All deliveries should be shipped to:

Midwest PAWS
C/O Gail Russell
1109 Blue Branch Drive
Grain Valley, MO  64029
816-847-0908

Brianna has already arranged for a TV News crew to be waiting when the dogs arrive. Hopefully, the story will provide her group with some much needed volunteer help in caring for the dogs while they are housed at the vet’s kennel facility.

Brianna’s group will assign a number and name to each and every dog. There will be a database created with sex/approx age info, etc. As they get to know each dog better, more information will be added. Brianna has already enlisted the help of a local behaviorist, in case there are dogs that exhibit a need for a professional evaluation for possible behavioral issues.

I will be Brianna’s communication representative for the duration of this process. She will be busy caring for and evaluating the dogs, so she will not have time to answer e-mails, or coordinate the communication as the situation progresses.

Therefore, if you or your rescue colleagues are interested in assisting with any of the dogs, please contact ME directly at msalyers@gsprescuene.org. If your individual state or regional programs have room for just one dog (or more), please contact me at this address. I will be sending out an addendum to this message with more information on the process. Please stay tuned...

I will also be updating the group with photos and details about the dogs as they come in. I will be in touch with all of you when the fundable.org fundraising page has been set-up, and will ask that you cross-post to your rescue contacts and group mailing lists.

Michelle Salyers
National Volunteer Coordinator
GSP Rescue
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »