Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 08:54:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  releasing quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: releasing quail  (Read 3893 times)
Selmadogdoc

Life is Good!

« on: January 02, 2009, 05:13:43 PM »

I have a quail producer nearby that I get quail from that I release for training and hunting.  I am trying to find an easy way to release them without them flying off.  I have tried the "dizzying" method, but it is time consuming and either they fly away, or stay "Asleep".  Simply opening the box and allowing the quail to walk out works sometimes, but I like to only release 2-3 at the time, and even then if you are not careful, some will fly away.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Lee

Selmadogdoc
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 05:33:56 PM »

Since you said "stay asleep"  I assume you are using the method of pressing on the back of the neck to interupt brain blood flow.  This is the best method.  I have very good luck with it, but have done it a lot, and take the extra time.  swinging to dizzy is very hit and miss.

I hold the pressure until just as the eye lids flutter, or the head starts to drop.  Then drop the bird, head down in the weeds.  A good clump of weeds, with bare ground, or short grass around it, helps.  They feel they are in a safer place, than ant direction they move.  (Ask me how I know what a bird feels).  This isn't the best training cover for flushing dogs, but is fine for pointing breeds.  In heavy cover, they are more likely to move, but Quail seldom move a lot in the first 30 minutes.

I have also had good luck releasing even fairly wild birds by opening a cage and letting them walk out.  The key, here, seems to be having the cage at the very edge, or slightly into the brush.  Any trees, nearby sure seem to draw them to fly, however.  You've probably noticed that.

I'll add that especially with pointing dogs, a remote release launchers (or three) is the best investment you ca make.  I prefer the DT Systems launcher because the have no plastic parts to break, are easy to load and quiet.  They also have a beeper to locate them, just in case you work past dusk, or in heavy cover.  Launchers can be used for flushing dogs to encourage pups to enter heavier cover than they might like.

Good luck, and welcome again.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »